Help cope with results

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone I got a full panel testing done like I do every year last month and my results came back 1.32 for herpes. I told the last person I had done something with just to be safe because he was the first person after my ex boyfriend. Of course he was a complete *sshole about it. He did come back a week later with his results showing that he was negative. Me and my doctor spoke about it and she told me since it’s so low and I never had an outbreak I should just get retested again because it might be a false positive. I got retested and my results today came back positive 1.31 I’ve been crying nonstop because I’m sure this came from my cheating ex and I don’t know how to process this. Has anybody ever had a false positive? If I truly do have herpes how do I deal with this? I have a follow up appointment with my doctor to discuss my results but I just feel so disgusting. I haven’t told anyone about my results other than my last sexual partner but now it has me thinking how will I ever have sex with someone again? What if they react the same way he did?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Edited

Hi, I completely understand you, I went through the same situation, my ex boyfriend never had any symptoms or lesions, and when I told him about the herpes, he defended himself saying it was my fault. I am pretty sure he passed it on to me, since I was a virgin and he is the only partner I have ever had.

At first it was hard for me to assimilate, I thought my world had ended when I had herpes at 18, but reading comments and experiences of other people makes me feel better, you can have a sex life, you should always use a condom, and not have sexual activity when you have active lesions, on the other hand it is important that you tell the person you are going to be with.

It is not necessary that you tell everyone, only those who you trust and consider that they should know.

I hope I have been helpful!

• Posted

Thank you so much. I don't know anyone who has it personally especially at a young age so you telling your story is helpful. I've been trying to educate myself as much as possible, stay positive, and just cope honestly because right now I'm feeling like my life is over.

• Posted

sorry to hear, i feel yo pain. How long after having sex did it take you to get tested and was it unprotected or whenever you believe u culd have bn exposed?

• Posted

It was about a month later after having sex that I got tested. I didn't have any symptoms or anything I just went for a regular check up.

• Posted

and yes it was unprotected with the friend. but with the ex its been months. I got tested after i found out he cheated but I was negative for everything so I'm completely confused. My doctor said it's possible to have had it but go undetected since I never had a outbreak.

• Posted

how long after sex with the ex b4 u got tested? Its possible if u tested too early. Did you ask them?

• Posted

it was maybe 2-3 weeks after im not for certain...I thought that I might've tested too early as well after finding out that the friend is negative.

• Posted

yea culd have been. mayb was the ex. n whn u was negative the 1st time was too early. was u positive fir type 1 r 2?

• Posted

Okay i really dont hope i'm a noob right now but protecting like condoms, it doesnt help anything or...?

• Posted

always have protected sex even while performing oral : ) ! herpes is transmitted via skin to skin so you can still catch the virus with protected sex although the chances are very slim

• Posted

Yeah i was thinking the same but the chance is very small as you said...

• Posted

Only hot girlies have herpes 💅🏼

In all seriousness I’m so sorry for now devastated you are feeling and f**k the dude for reacting so poorly to something so common. Majority of the world’s population literally have HSV-1 or HSV-2 and so many people are asymptomatic carriers. You are not different and you are not dirty! Most doctors don’t test for herpes anymore and most STD panels no longer include herpes because of how common it is! Herpes is never life threatening and is incredibly easy to manage!

You can still have a very active sex life! If you have HSV-2 definitely speak to your doctor about doing on daily antivirals. This will help minimize you shedding the virus and any future outbreaks. Since you haven’t experienced an outbreak yet you do tend to shed more than those who have. If you have type 1 then going on antivirals to minimize shedding doesn’t do much of a difference. If you don’t wanna take medication I highly recommend taking L-Lystine 1000-3000mg daily.

Make sure you disclose your status to future partners and I promise you wholeheartedly that if they reject you then you are way better off!!! People who are ignorant and refuse to be educated shouldn’t be given the time of day and is a major red flag. Also just know that even though you should definitely have protected oral sex and penetrate sex that a condom won’t cover everything and the virus is spread through skin to skin contact. Although it’s not easy to catch without a visible outbreak.

I’ve recently found out my status but the staff I saw theorized I’ve had the virus since I was a child since I was an CSA survivor. The complex of feeling like you’re worthless and dirty is so hard to tackle but let you tell you that you are not dirty!!!! You haven’t changed as a person one bit and are still lovable and wonderful! Having an STD doesn’t not mean you are dirty!

A lot of children actually have type 1 of the virus due to an adult with cold sores kissing them or sharing food/drinks while having an outbreak ((you will only spread thru those means while having an outbreak)). I have type 1 on my genitals and my first outbreak was possibly while I was 14 years old and I have yet to transmit to anyone.

This virus will not change you! If anything you will be safer from idiots and you will come to be more self aware in a positive way. Take a deep breath and know that everything is and will be okie. You are a badass and will march on thru! Sending much love and hugs 🤗

• Posted

your comment made me so emotional thank you so much for the kind words! Im scheduling an appointment with my doctor soon to get on meds since my last clinic didn't give me much info I really had to research on my own. I haven't done anything sexually since finding out and that's honestly the last thought on my mind. Im also looking into support groups to find people to talk to. Again thank you so much for the kind words!

• Posted

oh another question I forgot ask, u said it was months since you had sex with your ex at the time before you got your positive result. do you remember how many months? at least close to. and have you been tested again since this post?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.