Help! Could Vaginal atrophy cause only burning symptom

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've posted on a similar subject on here, but now I have a more specific question and hoping maybe someone can help. I am 60 yrs 'young'. To condense a long story...started out 6 months ago with frequent urination, then constant (horrible urge to urinate), and had some burning but couldn't tell where it was coming from (vaginal or urethra - never bladder pain/burning). I've had 2 cystocopies - seen a few urologist and gynecolosit - 2 ER visits for burning pain at the onset back in Nov. 2015.  I've had some positive UTI's for ecoli past couple months - and the past couple months have mostly burning - antibiotics sometimes takes the edge off afer at least 7 days on them, but burnng stays. Most recent urine culture was negative except for moderate/normal flora bacteria. Pretty much EVERYTHING has been ruled out to cause the burning.  Again it feels like its urethral or vaginal but they are so close together I can't tell.  No STD's, no thrush, no lipchen, no interstital cystitis (when to someone who specialzies in this) no vulvydonia (it's internal urethra or vaginal burnng not external), no itching anywhere, no burning when I urinate ever, no food sensititives.  My frequency is normal after starting 10mg of aimtriptyline which is great - but I continue to burn at a pain level of 5 I'd say.  I use small frozen ice squares in my panties which have been a lifesaver to continue daily activities.  I'm going back to gyno on April 15, 2016 and no idea what she will suggest. I also take premarin cream 1/2 tube 3x week for 4 months now.  Tried everything OTC and natural things..coconut oil, vitamin E suppostories, vagisil (that burned worse!), etc. Again no itching, no odor, nothing looks unusual down there - everything plumped up from premarin.  Have not had intercourse with hubby in 3 years because last time was SO painful from dryness.  Would like to try again if I can ever get this burinng to go away! So my question (sorry this is SO long!) is..could the vaginal atrophy (was told it's severe) be causing this internal burning with no other symptoms? Wonder if I maybe need oral estrogen (but not advised for women my age at 60). Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated. So very tired of every day having this burning. sad  Thank you!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

My main symptom is just the burning...like in a ring right outside vaginal opening. Did have urinary frequency but that was helped a lot with the Estrace cream. Sometimes I can go several days without any burning, and then just as quickly it's back again. Haven't been able to figure any reason why it comes and goes. In between the Estrace I usually use the coconut oil, or Vagisil, but like you,sometimes the Vagisil will burn. I'm scheduled for the Mona Lisa laser treatment in early May, but really anxious that it may make it worse. This has been going on for almost a year now, and I'm so tired of wearing pads, and having to carry a vial of coconut oil in my purse
  • Posted

I, too have had terrible burning after antibiotics for cystitis that I received after Mona Lisa treatment (don't do that)!  I was given diflucan on 2 different occasions and it did help. I am 57 and would highly recommend that you stay away from oral estrogen. Be very stern and upfront with your gyro to get relief. I had severe vaginal atrophy prior to Mona Lisa but never had burning until now and my atrophy is resolved. Best of luck and hang in there!
    • Posted

Did you get problems because of the Mona Lisa procedure?? Was the cystitis a side effect of the procedure? It did resolve your atrophy though?
    • Posted

Yes, yes and yes. Would give anything to have my old strophic vagina back. My bladder pain is unbearable today but burning is tolerable. Never ever had cystitis before
  • Posted

I get horrible burning for no reason, comes and goes, sometimes worse sometimes no so bad. My atrophy was at a 9 or 10 after one Mona Lisa treatment it is about a 5-6. My burning is all vaginal. My sister has burning but it is bladder related- she gets frequent UTI's. I get frequent yeast and BV infections. I think it is all due to atrophy. I am hoping after my second Mona Lisa in a month things will turn around. Meanwhile I am using vagifem and my sister uses the cream--both with limited success.
  • Posted

Hi Joanna ok I too get burning I take 10 mg X two of nortryptoline doesent get rid of the burning. The combination I'm using Vit e every other night combined with rose oil capsules inserted( you may not need this) I'm also atrophied and vulvadynia . I drink parsley and cornsilk tea as the cornsilk soothes inside the bladder. Sounds daft but I upped how much I drank of this and the burning stopped as long as I drink two litres of water and the parsley tea no burn!!!! It's worth a try?
  • Posted

I feel so bad for you. I have read Premeran can caus burning,something to do with it being in cream form. Some where Im sure I read it can be made at a compound pharmacy in ointment form which is not supposed to be irritateing. Just an idea. Hope you get the awful burning under control. Please keep us posted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.