HELP!!!! Cystocele and Rectocele Symptoms causing depression

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi Everyone neutral

?I am new to the forums and I am looking for advice / help regarding Pelvic Prolapse. I am dealing with a cystocele ( doctor confirmed on examination ) and I am also pretty positive there is a rectocele as well. The symptoms are very disturbing and I wanted to see if others dealing with this are having the same things that I am experiencing.

?First off , I just turned 50. I have 5 children ( all vaginal births except for 1 C-Section done because of the baby being breech ). Last year , I noticed one morning that I had pressure in my vagina and thought maybe I had forgotten to remove a tampon ( my period had just ended ). When I realized that was not the case , I promptly got my hand mirror out to take a look! I was totally shocked and scared to see a " bulging " in my vagina! I made an appointment with my GYN , and he did diagnose a cystocele. My urethra has apparently prolapsed a little also. I also have pressure in my rectal area and am scared I may also have a rectocele , although this has not been confirmed by my doctor.

The symptoms I am having are :

- Pressure and pain in my vagina ( mostly on the left side??? )

?- Burning in urethral area 

- A deep " pinching " sensation in the top left side of vagina

- urinary incontinence ( if I sneeze , cough , etc. while bladder is full )

?- feeling of " fullness " in labia ( again , mostly on the left hand side ) 

?I am thinking that I feel things worse on my left vaginal wall because my episiotomy ( which was huge ) was done there , and there is considerable scar tissue as a result.

?Has anyone experienced these symptoms with pelvic organ prolapse? And , is surgery really the only option? I have read about pessaries , but that idea does not appeal to me simply because that is a " band - aid " kind of thing that really fixes nothing , but only masks the symptoms. I am so depressed and also very scared because I do enjoy a very nice sex life with the wonderful man in my life , and I am scared this will just get worse and worse as time goes on.

?A side note: Sex is ( surprisingly ) not an issue. I enjoy it and it causes no pain whatsoever , which surprises me because of the pain and discomfort all the other time. Can anyone please shed some light on this for me? I would so appreciate any feedback about symptoms , treatment , and suggestions regarding this issue! Thanks so much!


0 likes, 5 replies


5 Replies

  • Posted

    Hi I've just turned 50 and been diagno sed with same. Doctor said pessary is good for women who r still wanting more children. I'm having surgery on 9th April. I had exactly same surgery when i was 24. I think my prolapse has been happening for a while now as I've had chronic pelvic pain on and off and more UTIs than i can possibly count. Don't be sad about it ... go back and c ur gyno and discuss ur options 😁

  • Posted

    Please try to focus on the positives in your life. I know its hard not to but try not to let ot get you down Kegals can lessen the symptoms if they are mild. Myself I'm nearly 40 and can't walk very far. It all happened out of nowhere after I went to the gym, although the weakness and prolapse must have been there unknowingly. I'm so uncomfortable that sex is rarely happening and if it does I feel super uncomfortable for days after. Although during sex things feel fine and maybe that's because the prolapse mainly pushes down when standing so may not bother during sex. Somehow I have accepted this but some months ago I felt in a really low place. Giving up the gym and limited to walking. Some symptoms have been alleviated by kegals and now I think I will opt for the operation soon.

    What treatment options did your GYN give you? You should really seen a urogynaecologist as they specialise in prolapse.

  • Posted


    I’ve only been diagnosed by gp with having a small prolapse (her words) and haven’t seen a urogynacologist or any specialist. I’ve had a couple of major operations (one totally unrelated) in the last 15 years and can’t face anymore surgery or even tests. 

    I’ve been online and found a website (not sure if I can say it’s name) by an American ex nurse. She says that one surgery (usually a hysterectomy) leads to more surgery and that this is a chronic condition which can be managed. Controversially she also says that kegels make the problem WORSE! She advocates a different exercise. I’m not sure if it’s just mumbo jumbo but it may be worth a read. 

    I too felt very down to start off with and still have bad days but I am managing it and taking it a day ata time. 

  • Posted

    You must ask to be referred to a Urogynaecologist. They have 3 more years specialized training in prolapse surgery than a Gynaecologist. Insist on this. Just don't go down the pessary route or kegal hope. Surgery is inevitable if you want a good outcome. And be able to live everyday not having to constantly be reminded of your pelvic floor with all the symptoms. It's very common surgery but nobody tends to talk about it to those close to them. 

  • Posted

    Thanks so much for all of the replies! I have an appointment with a different GYN in April , mainly to get a second opinion on things. I know I have dropped considerably in my bladder area , but the doctor who diagnosed it said nothing about a rectocele.

    ?I am convinced I have that too though because of chronic constipation , and the fact that I can feel pressure in my vagina while having a bowel movement. 

    ?Do any of you ladies have a burning sensation in your vulvar area? It burns like fire most days , and to me , that is way worse than the pressure! I know I don't have an infection of any sort because I have been checked already. I almost feel like my doctor thinks I am imagining things , but this burning wakes me up at night sometimes! I'm thinking nerve pain or something like that... It's just so frustrating!

    ?I am definitely going to ask to be referred to a Urogynecologist . 


Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up