Help, desperate - I’m lost, in a massive panic, would you stick or change?

Posted , 2 users are following.

katecogs@

hello this is my first post its been very helpful reading everyones stories and comments thank you ❤ im desperate for a bit of help as feel like things are failing, almost about to call the crisis line today

I had a mental/physical breakdown end of November after 5 month of stress / breast cancer treatment

i got totally stuck in fright flight freeze mode. I was given 4mg diazepam (theoretically short term) alongside 10mg citalopram, which increased to 20mg, and 5 weeks ago increased to 30mg

i can sometimes have some afternoons and evenings that are okish , but ive always had awful mornings and the last 3 days ive almost been back in 'panic mode' cant eat, cant do anything much even though ive tried hard to do things that i have to do like gets the kids off to school / walk my dogs etc

On friday i got an emergency appointment and we decided i could try escilatopram or venlafaxine instead - but im scared of everything and just dont know what to do (these are the only recommended AD due to the breast cancer)

i also have the low dose diazepam 2mg/2mg and propranolol available (the diazepam seems to be the only thing that takes the edge off - but i know i shouldnt be on that really as its been 12 weeks)

Kate or anyone is there any advice or thoughts you can give me - id be so grateful

x

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Hi Penny

every increase will give you temporary side effects, sometimes it feels like back to day one. 5 Weeks on increase still very early in terms of recovery and meds has not leveled up in your system.

Increased anxiety and other unusual sensations are very normal, and mornings are usually the worst - i ve been there.

But just give some time for new dose to settle, you will be ok, even though you can not feel it right now but meds are working.

Just keep going with the thought you are recovering and thats the way recovery goes.

• Posted

thank you so much for replying - i dont know whether to try the other type ive been given (escitalopram) or not . They dropped my citalopram to 20mg for 4 days so i can do a straight switch in case it works better on my extreme anxiety.

i dont know if anyone else has taken diazepam for as long as me (12weeks) but it feels like thats what works but i know it shouldnt be taken long term

what was your journey like ? x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.