Help diagnosing

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

for the last 4 years I have been battling constant burping and indigestion "attacks" that end up sending me in atrial fibrillation, a form of arrhythmia. 

Heart is structurally sound and they have already tried ablating it to stop the afib with no success. 

Gastroscopy does not show anything special only slight irritation, no esophagitis. Upper Gi X-rays show a lot of reflux. Tiny hiatal hernia

Abdomen ultrasound did show a fatty liver and my TCM acupuncturist insists all my burping and reflux and heart issues are being caused by a congested and fatty liver. comventional doctors are disregarding that claim of course as my blood test liver function is fine. When the Chinese doctor presses on a liver meridian I am in excruciating pain. 

I am much better on a clean alkaline food diet. Fatty meats, fried food, chocolate and coffee make me much worse. 

I have tried many many medications, too many to list. The heart meds keep my heart stable but I feel horrible on them, I'm only 42. 

Acid reflux medication doesn't seem to help although ranitidine works better than any ppi oddly enough. 

Is this a chain reaction? Fatty liver causing reflux which causes indigestion and finally afib? Thanks in advance!!! 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Wonder if it's a gallbladder issue? Liver and gallbladder work in tandem: liver produces bile and gallbladder stores it until it is needed. Gallstones don't always show up on ultrasound especially if small or sludgelike or it could be that your gallbladder just isn't functioning? Maybe ask for a HIDA scan to measure ejection rate? Also CT scan to look for stones?

Interesting that reducing fatty foods helps. Trouble is that these symptoms are common to a few gastric type issues.

Hope you get sorted out soon.

• Posted

Sounds like perhaps you may have a problem with your gallbladder. Do you notice any pain in your upper abdomen or chest hours after eating a fatty meal? I had trouble with my gallbladder for about a year but didn't connect it at first until I started to notice a pattern...

Either way, since you do have fatty liver you should eat clean. Avoid sugars, fatty foods, fried foods etc... fatty liver can be reversed and since your symptoms improve when you eat right, I would deff keep that up while you investigate the cause of your symptoms.

• Posted

Hi John50795,

This is an interesting post worth replying to, even though I’m hard pressed for time. I need to harvest firewood from the gov’t forest across the road opposite my property before winter. I’m not robust this year having come through Lyme and before that all the things that afflict you. Even my doctors deny any connection of indigestion to  atrial fibrillation. I even told a former doctor that, several times, when I would be on my way to see him because of a.f., my vehicle would hit a bump and I would burp as a result, and the atrial fibrillation would stop. I would turn around and go back home. One time the a.f. persisted  and the ekg recorded it at the doctors clinic. The ekg had pulmonary disease considerations as a side note. Assuming the doctor wasn’t talking about pulmonary veins, clearing my throat too much will trigger a.f. but I clear my throat only after I eat. Even water would be mucogenic in the past. One doctor said I have only a very slight hiatal hernia. This was not reported to me by any other doctor or test. A lot of other strange things have occurred with regards to my tests and the people who administered them.

These days are much kinder to me. I have found that tilting my head back and rocking it slows my heartbeat right down and keeps me from going into a.f. I do this slightly before I stand or get out of a vehicle especially if I have been sitting a while. I sit in chairs that do not have a high back so I can twist and rock my neck periodically. When I get up from the sitting position I lean forward on my arms and dangle my lower half, because some years back I fell from a ladder onto a 4x4 right where the liver is located. An old fractured rib there causes pain flareup every second day. Cervical injuries were obtained twice in my life. It was and is forbidden that I make a connection of these spinal cord injuries to irregular heartbeat. Eating next to nothing gives me relief and of course there is no burping. I have a three hour routine in the morning to work out the gas and prevent pain and stiffness in my neck and back so that my day is basically O.K. If I don’t do this I’ll succumb both to excessive vagal stimulation (from the gas) and to excessive respondent sympathetic stimulation (spinal injuries] and subsequent arrhythmias.

As far as documenting the connection of indigestion to atrial fibrillation an excellent article existed by Steve Rochlitz called A Missing Link to Chronic Illness, Allergies and Longevity? Vagus Nerve Imbalance/Hiatal Hernia Syndrome, #241, p.120-25, Townsend Letter to Doctors and Patients. This article  talks about hiatal hernia pinching the vagus nerve thereby causing vagal nerve imbalance. Excessive vagal stimulation is one of causes of heart block (page 600, Principles of Anatomy and Physiology, Tortora and Anagnostakos, ISBN 0-96-046704-5). Vasoconstriction of the arteries of the bronchi is caused by coughing and this vasoconstriction is again caused by the vagus nerve. This largest nerve in the body must be the cause of a multitude of symptoms associated with short-circuiting of its efferents and afferents due to calciphylaxis and cross-linking of proline residues (glycation). From what I’ve had time to read, magnesium is used up six times faster in fructose metabolism than in glucose metabolism. If Mg is as important as they say it is, in keeping calcium from calcifying your liver and heart, I would go easy on fruit and processed sugar, or at least supplement with chelated Mg. It is said that sugar, especially fructose, does what alcohol does in creating a fatty liver. If true then you will die of malnutrition. The loss of nutrients will be part of a vicious cycle. Bile will back up. Along with the bile, 300 Mg-based enzymes will not be there for digestion to take place. Fat will coat everything you eat, as well as your enzymes, which will eventually ferment in the lower bowels inflaming the ileocecal valve which becomes blocked with everything backing up into the small intestine causing burping and reflux. The best explanation is in Dr. Jonn Matsen, ND’s The Secrets to Great Health, 1998, ISBN 0-9682853-0-9, Chapter 1, Burpy Guide to Digestion. If you read this book you will see connections no doctor will ever give you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.