Help diagnosing a skin rash

Posted , 4 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi there, I am an expat living in Vietnam. Last month I broke out into an unknown rash on the right side of my torso (no where else), I went to the hospital and they put me on a drip and gave me medication. however they didn't give me a diagnosis because of the language barrier.

the first rash has gone but i still have circular dots on the right side of my torso which havent gone and i am now worrying.

please can anybody help diagnose what the dots are as i am getting very panicked and i dont know what to do about them?

please help

thankyou very much

0 likes, 4 replies


4 Replies

  • Posted

    Hi James

    It doesn't look like a type of urticaria. I have dpu delayed pressure urticaria and chronic urticaria. This is not dpu as that is raised lumps on your body mainly from clothing that is tight or pressing on certain parts. Yours are red and scattered. Dpu is what the name implies - delayed pressure urticaria bought on by doing normal stuff that required some pressure and will come up as a few small wheals that develop into one large one and can itch like crazy. This is a very complex condition and there are so many different types and I am not an expert on rashes and hives I am only really familiar with what I go through. My advice is get it checked out by a gp. Good luck.

  • Posted

    The don't look like my cold urticaria, which look more like white kettle rash bumps, like an insect bite, a nettle sting or sunburn blisters. But the rashes of different Urticarias look different.

    Cholinergic (heat-triggered) Urticaria would make some sense in Vietnam.

    But have you considered Shingles (have you had Chicken pox before). That can appear one one side of the torso. It could also be triggered by something else like:

    Insect bites or stings (mites, flies, spiders, bees, wasps, mosquitos)

    Fungal infections (ringworm)

    There are also other autoimmune conditions that cause rashes like yours. For example, atopic Dermatitis. Have you been using suncream, repellent, different detergents, medicine creams or swimming / bathing somewhere that could cause this? 

    I think you need to see a good dermatologist immunologist if it continues and is affecting your quality of life.


Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up