Help! Endoscopy in a ew days!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been scheduled for an endoscopy in a few days time and opted for the sedation as i am severely agoraphobic and terrified of the procedure. Can any one tell me their story of being under sedation and having this procedure done? Do you fell asleep? I’m sure they give me both the spray and the sedative but not entirely sure. 

Once again, very very scared. I told my doctor 3 times I don’t want this done and then I get the phone call that I was dreading. Literally had an emotional and mental breakdown. 

Please help sad 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I had the sedation and was asleep during the procedure. It went just fine and I had worried myself sick for days before!  So I can identify with what you are experiencing. 
    • Posted

Iv been a wreck since they rung me about having it done. Even rang back a few times with questions I’m glad the receptionist was lovely. I hope the nurse is. Gonna ask them for the highest sedation level they can give since I’m gonna be fighting the urge to run while I’m in there 
  • Posted

I had it with sedation. When you go in they have you put a gown on. Start a IV. Take you into the room. They put spray in my mouth. Tell you kind of gargle with it, swallow it. While your doing that they start the sedation. Help you relax. It's not like operation sedation. Milder. You go out. Wake up not remembering a thing. Felt like a million bucks. Couldn't tell they did a thing. Doesn't take that long. Had some juice, ginger ale. Came home ate lunch. Everyone worries. Then when it's over your mad at yourself for being so worried for nothing.

• Posted

I had sedation with mine, absolutely no problem st all, didn’t remember or feel a thing. 👍

• Posted

Thank you guys I’m hoping to just fall asleep I don’t want to feel anything I’m also terrified I’ll still have a panic attack while I’m sedated. Mine can be pretty powerful and nothing can calm me down. Luckily I’ll have my boyfriend to take care of me but apart from the jobcenter sometimes, he has always come to an appointment and come in with me so this will be the first time.

I also suffer with Emetophobia (a fear or being sick) and terrified I’ll throw up 😞 

• Posted

I'm having an endoscopy this morning, and I feel similarly worried. I too am going to ask for the strongest sedation that they can administer! I will let you know how I get on. Best wishes 

• Posted

From what I was told they don't actually knock you out like a operation. But it's the same feeling and you won't remember a thing about it.

• Posted

After reading other people’s accounts and comments right now, I feel pretty good about it. 
  • Posted

Just an update. Went to have it done. I cried at multiple times as I was terrified. Choked and gagged at the numbing spray which tasted horrible! It got to the top of my throat in which the dr decided I was in no shape to get it done as I couldn’t relax and my heart rate shot up.

Also opted not to have sedation. They told me I’d have to hang back for 2 hours to let the sedation wear off which I didn’t fancy. Really feel like a failure now but that was horrendous. 

Not everyone is like me tho. I worked myself up too much. But I would recommend getting sedated if you are going for it. I wish I did

• Posted

I don't mind the recovery time. Good nap, free drugs. The fee was the same with or without sedation. Doc administers it. I took the sedation.

• Posted

Hello SammiiD29, 

i had my upper GI yesterday. I was scared. I read this post and 100s of others before going and i almost canceled it. Here is my experience. The worst for me was the IV needle (i hate needles) and the throat spray that felt like WD40 was being sprayed in my mouth and you got to swallow 3 times. After that it was all good. You get sedated and it's a smooth ride. I remember burping weirdly because of the air they pump into my stomach but that's it. Did not feel the endoscope at all. 10 minutes (or les... felt like 90 seconds) after it started i was on my cell phone texting my gf and mom i was ok. I feel some irritation inside today, hot coffee burn in my stomach but it's pretty mild. 

Hope we all get better soon!

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your experience. I already attempted mine but couldn’t get it passed the top of my throat. I didn’t feel

Up to having to stay for 2 hours after so I decided to just go with the throat spray. That was horrific and I almost threw up from that. I panicked too much and my heart rate spiked so they decided to not carry on with it and recommended a barium swallow test instead which I am waiting for a phone call for. I feel like since I tried that endoscopy Iv suffered a major setback in regards to my panic attacks and I’m barely eating now as my stomach is all over the place. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.