Help! Feeling Crazy After Fibroid Removal??

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi Ladies,

I had a laproscopic removal (morcellation) of a 10cm fibroid and a dermoid cyst in late September. I kept all of my organs except a damaged fallopian tube from a previously ruptured cyst. Everything was benign. I'm 48 so prob in peri but I've been told I'm estrogen dominant the last few years.

The operation went well and at first for nearly a month I actually felt great, very calm, none of the peri anxiety I had on and off previously which was 100x worse because I have childhood/complex PTSD.

However, lately a bit over 3 months out, I'm having horrible heart racing and anxiety and my estrogen is again high according to blood tests. Does anyone know when/if my hormones will ever go back to normal? Or have you ladies with similar issues found relief? I'm considering taking low dose progesterone from a doctor but I need to be careful of weight gain and growing more fibroids quickly. It seems like using hormone creams etc. always has side effects. I started taking DIM for the estrogen.

Thanks for any help ladies. I feel AWFUL and INSANE and I'm alone. 😦

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have yet to have my surgery but I'd def suggest ONLY bio identical hormones. Synthetic are very dangerous. In gave sometimes they give you synthetic estrogen, which only makes things worse! I wouldnt take them with a gun to my head.

Good you're on dim. As I'm on that too bc I'm estrogen dominant. That can cause fibroids in the 1st place.

I'd suggest seeing a holistic doc that is familiar with obg issues. That's the only way I knew is had estrogen problems.

I can't really tell you why youre anxious (I've had anxiety issues since age 14 and I'm. 44) but possibly hormonal.

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for the reply! I just know that even bioidentical progesterone which is what I took from a naturopath a year ago, caused extreme weight gain (no change in diet) and fibroid growth. So I'm nervous about even trying a bio-identical cream. It sounds like you haven't tried even bioidentical hormones... Thx

• Edited

Ahh I see. You're sure that was the cause?

And I won't be on them until after removal as per my Dr. But it'd be the only kind I'd try.

It does matter when you take them during your cycle. Also never put the cream in same place 2 times in a row.

If your doc is familiar with them, I'd ask them about the gain too.

I do believe fibroids are fed estrogen and progesterone if I'm remembering right. But usually estrogen is what is the culprit.

Also, it's more that estrogen and progesterone are in a good balance, vs how high or low they each are.

"While most women vary in the absolute amount of estrogen and progesterone that they produce (and feel good with), this balance should still be somewhere around 10:1 using basic serum labs." Plus test these hormones in day 19-21 of cycle. I've found this after lots of drs and research.

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks again for your reply. 😃 I will ask about timing of taking any hormone which makes sense. And the same spot thing. And yes several medical studies have shown (and other women's stories on this site and elsewhere) that natural progesterone grows fibroids and can cause weight gain. My OBGYN also confirmed this as I got the progesterone from an idiot naturopath. Not seeing her anymore. I was also actually on a progesterone blocking pill years ago (now available mainstream, ulipristal) that shrunk my fibroid significantly. I just can't take it at my age (so had surgery). So it's not all about estrogen. I'm 100% positive the progesterone pill was the cause as I gained 30 pounds and the fibroid grew quickly, 2cm, within 2 weeks of taking it and then growth and weight gain stopped when stopped using it, plus based on the medical studies and knowledge I mentioned. However it took forever to get the weight off. If you search as well you'll see fibroids are not all about estrogen. I'm sure an imbalance doesn't help. But if you have a large fibroid balancing your hormones by taking more progesterone will not help, it WILL make things grow.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.