Help. Fluoxetine side effects

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All

I'm looking for some advice please. I'm 5/6 days into taking fluoxetine and the last 2 days I'm having some worrying side effects. I feel totally spaced out and not with it at all. I'm also getting upset stomachs, feel a bit sick almost all the time and now getting random sweats. Is this normal?

I have never taken anything like this before and feel like stopping already

John

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi John,

Yes I think it is normal to have these side effects. I am on day 25. I had headpressures causing dizziness and lack of concentration too for 3 weeks, now this is easing down in last few days. I have no appetite from the start of taking it and lost a lot of weight. This has not improved yet for me. I also had sweats and anxious shivers, especially waking up in the middle of night with them. Also now on the 4th week this is getting better.

Reading these forums really helped me - it looks like a lot of people experience the same (and more) side effects. I would describe my first 3 weeks as very rough, now the 4th, I will see, there are some better moments now, but still long to go to feel better.

Luci

• Posted

Hi John. I'm on my third month. I was verrrry nauseous when I first started it. I worried it was morning sickness at first! That symptom wore off slowly after two weeks. My doctor told me the medicine could take 4-6 weeks to really sink in and depression pull off. I'd say that's accurate. I went from about a 3 out of 10 emotionally to now a 7 out of 10 emotionally. Some days even better! The weight I loss the first two weeks slowly crept back (unfortunately for me!)

. I don't remember feeling really spaced out.

I'm on 20 mg, though, and I believe that's a medium dosage.

You could ask your doctor to cut back the dosage a bit and see if that helps.

Also -any time I drink alcohol, the next day is a "blue" day, as I call it. That is no fun. Good luck! Don't stop without your doctor's guidance. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.