Help for IBS please :(

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

Can anyone help advise how they got to the bottom of the food/ingredient causing their IBS? My symptoms are severe nausea and loose stools. Are there any clinics out there that can work with you to figure it out?

I have tried elimination diet of what I think it could be but then still have flare ups. I tried the FODMAP diet previously before for a short time however I am so scarily underweight because of this and struggle to put weight on. I am 27 years old! I can't afford to cut out loads of foods like the FODMAP diet requires you to do. When I have a bad flare up with nausea and loose stools, I feel like on those days I don't eat much, I actually lose some weight!

I feel like I need someone to work with and help me sad this has gone on for so many years and I am fed up with it and no one helping me sad

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Ask your doctor to refer you to a dietician.   You could also try the food diary again. There may be other food triggers that you haven’t yet identified in your elimination diet.  It is also possible that stress could be triggering your symoptoms and not just food.  I tried eliminating foods with my IBS and it didn’t work for me because stress alone was the culprit.

I don’t know what country you are from, but if you google IBS clinics in your area, it should list them.  In the UK, there are IBS clinics available and one of them is in London.  They tend to spend a lot more time with you than your usual doctor would.

• Posted

I agree with Pippa, see your doctor for Gluten intolerance tests, and insist you see a dietician.
  • Posted

Hi Elle, Sorry to hear about your pain...I also have IBS and with food I have observed that I cannot tolerate gluten now..It was not the case before but once I was diagnosed with IBS I have observed that I cannot tolerate wheat...Well my gluten sensitivity test came back negative, but I feel pain after eating gluten so I usually avoid that.. So the key is to be mindful about you are eating..You can eat anything which your body can tolerate and you feel good after eating..You can always avoid the things which after eating you feel pain or generally feeling bad.. It will take some time but you can know what you can eat and what you can't without avoiding necessary  foods...Dietitian can always help you...exercise will help you to reduce your anxiety..and If possible see alternative medicine doctors..they have good management strategy for chronic illnesses like IBS and they can also give you your diet plan..But remember you can always start from today and observe your feeling after eating particular food...You can know by yourselfbiggrin 

• Posted

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. I am monitoring the foods I am eating and how I feel after in my food diary. The confusing thing is, sometimes I eat the foods and feel fine and other times I eat the foods and don't. So it's tricky to work out but I will just need to persevere. Just a annoying as it can stop me carrying out plans at times!

• Posted

On my end, i knew already that it was stress that is causing me my IBS Symptoms but for the worth of it, I still tried the elimination process, the whole low fodmap diet and found a few foods that trigger my flare ups but still it was stress that was causing me so much pain. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.