Help for Underweight

Posted , 4 users are following.

This is my second post for the same thing, but hoping to get some input from those who have LOST weight due to hyperthyroidism.  If you succeeded in getting your BMI back on track:  what did you do, and, how long does it take?  Thanks!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

My son lost a lot of weight too. He went from 173lbs to 135lbs, but when he started the treatment and the Free T4 and T3 started reducing he started gaining weight again. One you start the treatment you will gain your weight back with your regular eating habits. Just make sure you eat healthy food and stay away from fast foods.

• Posted

Hi...in December '16 I started losing weight for no reason.  Between then and August '17 I lost 90 lbs total.  I was seeing every doctor imaginable as I had unexplained weight loss, nervous beyond belief, couldn't sleep, dizzy, etc.

Many doctors thought I just needed to see a counselor for help with stress.  I was totally distraught but I did see the counselor.  Other doctors thought that I really needed to do a colonoscopy, that the answer of what was happening would be revealed.  I couldn''t do it...i was too scared (not of the result but of the procedure). Finally I meet a GI in June who wanted me to do a TSH test.  Lo and Behold I was in a very hyperthyroid state, caused by toxic nodules not due to an autoimmune disease.  In September I had a total thyroidectomy and in December I was able to do a colonoscopy without fear and surprise, no problem.  Kind of a long story but as I say I lost 90 lbs.  Between September and today (June 20th), I have regained 30 lbs which I'm happy about.  As said above, once a person starts eating normally again, the weight will come back..  Good luck. P.S. - I needed to lose weight, but that was not the way to do it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.