HELP??? FORDYCE SPOTS? SO DEPRESSED

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have has these for a few months I started noticing them in april. At a complete loss. I feel like the dermatologist and my primary care dont know what they are doing. I can tell my derm is uncomfortable in the vulvar area which makes me uncomfortable. I got a biopsy done suggesting atopic dermatitis/eczema but was also told it was also consistent with contact dermatitis. Could these just be inflamed fordyce spots from the dermatitis? Rarely burns or itches and is occasionally sore. I have been on three different creams, tacrolimus, desonide (a steroid), and lastly a antifungal cream. The tacro did nothing, the steroids inflamed it more, and the anti fungal has irritated more also. Its been a very self deprecating thing I've been dealing with these past three months. At this point Ive decided to leave it alone. Its so frustrating I could cry. Its not a std, bv, or sti. I think I may have irritated it more and more with these creams when in the beginning it could have just been plain old fordyce glands. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.image

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Edited

Why did you see a dermatologist in the first place if there was no irritation? was it just the appearance which you thought abnormal?

In my opinion this is totally harmless and is part of a normal vulva. Stop using any medication on it. Just keep the area clean with only warm water. An overly clean vulva can be irritable as well.

• Posted

It was hurting and inflamed. I went to see my gp and she said it was a skin issue and said go to a derm. The derm looked at it and saw irritation and prescribed me the tacro right off the bat. I did the cream and it stayed the same, I came back and she said I needed a biopsy. I wash everyday with dove sensitive soap. When the biopsy came back she said it was atopic dermatitis and prescribed steroid cream. It made it 10x worse. I will take a break from washing with soap. I just didn't think the dove sensitive would cause any irritation but maybe I am overly washing and thats causing the atopic dermatitis. It gets swollen and red too. Thanks for replying.

• Edited

Its hard to tell with everything blocked out. They may be, i have them as well on my inner lips. Are they on your inner lips as well?

• Edited

I see now. The fordyce spots there are completely harmless. If you were feeling any irritation it would not be from fordyce spots. Fordyce spots happen when sebaceous glands grow and fill up. They function to create sebaceous oils in your skin, particularly on the genitals to prevent the skin fr drying out and the oils also have a unique scent that which acts as a pheromone, we are mammals after all. I would suggest you stop using any steroids or cream on the region, avoid washing with soap just use warm water and a soft cloth and wear fresh underwear. Also allow the natural oils in the skin your vulva and outer labia to build a bit. It sounds gross but quite often the skin needs it natural oils to build a barrier again. Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.