Help getting to the finish line

Posted , 4 users are following.

Have been down to 15 mg for a couple of days down from a high of 45 and having a rough day and was just wondering how everyone was eventually able to get off of Mirtazapine or get down to a low dose.

This is the last med I'm taking so I really want to get off of it but things seem to get rough for me at 15 mg and I was wondering how others got through the tough times getting off this crap. I've been here before and went back up some and really don't want to give in this time but its been rough. Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated as I want to stick with weening down and really want to get off of Mirtazapine!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I've was on 15mg of Mirtazapine for 3 months after being on Anitriptaline for over 15 years I have BPD which got out of hand I had huge highs and was out of control I'm 66 and need help the Mirtazapine was making me so very depressed so mental health doctor said I could stop them I'm 22 days into stopping them dead am feeling terrible like I got flu and have had about three major breakdowns of crying and screaming I feel like I am going to lose the plot in life soon I take zopidem and quick acting diazepam at night how long will this last. 

• Posted

My Dr. told me that 15mg was such a low dosage that unless you really are ready to be off than going down from here can be tricky. I tried breaking them in 1/2 last week and was doing ok for a week or so but I started feeling low again so I went back up tp 15mg myself so I know exactly how you feel.  I'm no Dr but I think you have to a have a plan you will follow through on when you reduc; ie: start doing 5 minutes more excercise for every mg. you reduce. 5mg = 25 min of riding the bike or something. That's what I am going to do but first I want to feel good for around 3 months and I am working on that. Good luck with getting free of them. That is really the way to go.  Bye for now, Al

• Posted

It's day 28 now off these horrible tablets I'm having terrible trouble sleeping taking two Zopidem and a fast acting diazepam most nights but can still be awake at 2am my whole body is in pain, sweating all over but head usually is very calm until I talk to someone on phone and I just lose the plot crying screaming saying I can't go on it's like I'm someone else ! 

I ok next morning to have a lay in though keep myself busy decorating or out and about but start feeling very strange early evening think I'm addicted to diazepam now catch 22 but I don't take one I usually got to curl up under a blanket for a few hours.

ive been tempted to restart tabs but havnt as keep telling myself these are withdrawal symptoms not original mental health problem feelings. 

How long will this go on for please? 

• Posted

Marilyn,

I'm so sorry to hear your having such a hard time of it and I really wish I had an answer for you..

I know I've developed dry eye since coming off Clonazepam as well as having an allergic like reaction which inflamed my esophagus and small intenstines. I've decided to just use natural supplements, diet, exercise, etc. to help with symptoms and this has helped.

I never thought I'd have so many difficulties coming off these drugs but it is what it is and we just have to keep our chins up and know that things will get better each day and we've got to keep hope alive!

Thanks everyone for the replies and best of luck to all of you and God Bless!!

• Posted

Oh no, thats a mighty step down from 45 to 15 mg of Mirt .... no wonder you feel terrible Rob.  I see you posted this message 7 days ago - how are you feeling now??  

For anyone wanting a full informed choice of how to stop Mirt, click on my name and follow the links under the status there.  Going cold turkey can be dangerous, always consult your doctor before tapering or stopping.

• Posted

I didn't go straight to 15 from 45 but I've worked my way down to there. I went back up a little to 18 mg and I'm going to go down at 3 mg steps approximately every 2-3 weeks and see how that goes, I'm hoping it goes better because I really want to get off of Mirtazapine and move on from all these damn Meds!!

• Posted

aahhhh right, that sounds much better.  

Be careful, as you initiually said above you've tried before and that you are feeling rough.  If you're dropping 3mg each time I would wait 3-4 weeks to make sure all/any symptoms have subsided. The slow horse wins the Mirt race I feel.   Best wishes Rob smile  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.