HELP! Hard external lump/hemorrhoid after internal hemorrhoidectomy?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Had a hemorrhoidectomy three days ago for three internal Grade 3 hemorrhoids and have been doing very well. Had my first small BM this morning with no issues. Felt pretty great as far as I'm doing...

Until a few hours later I went to use a Tuck's wipe to see if I had any stuck poop in my crack. When I went to wipe I felt a large hard lump on the outside of my anus sad

I don't understand because I only had internal hemorrhoids removed... Is this normal?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Why aren't you calling your doctor? Everyone's normal is different. Your doctor has seen your butt, and knows your butt, and is your butt expert.  

• Posted

No doctor but if your in pain you could of had a small prolapse, could go back after a few days with plenty of rest or maybe or wait to see your doctor. I prolapsed after my surgery but was in excruciating agony. Still not 100% after weeks but pain has died down. Plenty of rest and hot baths. Feel for you and hope you get sorted soon 🙏

• Edited

Firstly, I agreed with checking in with your surgeon as soon as you can. Monday perhaps? GP will be the second option. But the surgeon will be able to give you a more accurate assessment. 

Secondly, from my own experience and many other people’s posts, it takes weeks for the swelling in the area to come down. Even it was removal of the internal hemorrhoids, the entire area will be somewhat swelling after the surgery. What looks like another hemorrhoid is probably the swelling. It took me 3 weeks for it to come down half the size, and I’m at 4 weeks post op and still have small lumps

In the early days, they’re bigger, harder and tender; painful when pressure applied. Slowly, they will shrink and become softer and smaller. 

There may also what is called “bridge” where the incision is made - like scar tissue, which will take a long long time to reduce in size. 

So don’t panic! The recovery is painful but sounds like you have some good local anesthetic from the surgery, numbing the area. Take sitz bath frequently - it soothe pain and help reduce in swelling. Use ice pack in between sitz bath on 10 min , off 10 mins. to reduce swelling. 

Hope it helps!! Good luck!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.