help?! Hidradenitis suppurativa

Posted , 2 users are following.

so i realized over the last few year id get these bumps between my thighs but i always thought they were from me being over weighted and just from friction (im not even sure if thats a thing but i went with it bc my mom believed this is where hers are from) however ive lost like 100 pounds in the last year and a half and they have seemingly gotten worse. i tried to get more extensive hygiene routine and it then too got worse? i found out about the proper name of the disease a few month ago and im just wondering if this will be this bad for ever? ive been looking into it and everyone says there’s comes in spurs or cycles but for the last 3 or 4 months I’ve had atleast 1 or 2 bumps at ALL times. then in cycles I’ll get 4 or 5 at a time I get them all on my inner thighs, right under both of the butt cheeks, sometimes groin and consistently under the armpits. So it’s pretty bad and I see many websites suggest better hygiene helps but it seems to be the opposite for me. If I try to take extra time to scrub the problem areas it just seems to make it worse I.e. this morning I was thinking of how I hadn’t got any on my thighs and under my butt for a week or two but spent a bit more time cleaning those folds this morning. It’s now 12 hours later and I suddenly have one.. I also make sure to dry these areas extra well too after because I read that leaving moisture can encourage the bumps. Still as I said I have one now. So any tips with that? And just generally does anyone recommend anything to do? Also if this isn’t TMI can any one share If this effects there sex life? I am 20 and as someone who is going to be a late bloomer anyways I am actually terrified of starting a sex life with this disease. I’m really afraid they won’t think it’s just a skin condition and even if so It’s just makes me so much more insecure about my body, am I over reacting? Most ppl i hear with success stories theyve been with their partners for a while and they accepted it. Unfortunately with my luck I don’t think my first partner will be anyone who feels strong enough feelings for me, to be so accepting and reassuring. So genuinely I would like to know if starting a sex life should even be in my cards. I have extremely bad mental health already and will probably be sent over the edge if I sleep with someone and he makes me feel bad about it. So is this something guys really notice in the moment?

Im really at my wits end with this, I want to see a doc. But I honestly am worried it’s not even worth it. I am weary about doctors visits anyways but especially weary about going for this because I hear many people saying their doctors simply don’t know what it is, or don’t know what to do.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi,

I don't know if everyone's HS is triggered by the same thing, but i can tell you a few things that work for me.

My routine is to very gently wash the areas (i get them in a couple different areas) daily with anti bacterial soap (hibiclens). This may not be as important if the bumps/sores are not open, but i do it anyway.

(this is maintenance.)

As far as healing and prevention, I find that diet directly effects the outbreaks. (the food-trigger may also vary depending on the person)

I've heard some say dairy triggers them. (i dont typically eat dairy so i don't think i can speak to that.)

For me, soy definitely triggers them big time. takes 2-3 weeks for them to go down.

I also think there are hormonal factors at play. Still figuring those out for me.

yes, see a doctor. (dermatologist, not gyn.)

maybe get a food alergy test.

maybe get blood work done (a hormone panel)

For what i can tell, the problem seems to be internal (hormones/diet) and not external (germs). But again, some topical stuff may be helpful if the sores are open.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.