Help! How long does it take for symptoms of over medication last?

Posted , 16 users are following.

I posted on here the other day, trying to find some answers! I recently found out I was over medicated! I went on a higher dose and my tsh went from 52 to .14 in 3 weeks! I was on that dose which was 137 for 3 weeks! I've been completely off of levothyroxine for 1 week! Some symptoms are better, like tremors, dry mouth, bad anxiety and over worrying, having frequent bowel movements! But still don't feel well, still having anxiety, and worrying, and insomnia!

My question is has anyone had this happen to them? I do not have a thyroid it was removed 20+ years ago! I saw my endocrinologist today explained everything best I could and I told him my symptoms! He saw my labs from 4/5 and he also mentioned my T4 was high! I think 1.9 He wants me to not take any medication yet, get labs in 10 days and I see him on 4/21, and go from there!

He mentioned that the medication has a half life of 7 days, and said it can take a couple of weeks! I don't understand if it has a half life of 7 days why it can take a couple of weeks!

This is horrible! I'm raising a family which includes a a 3 year old, but I also have teenagers and young adults, and I don't want them to see what I'm going through! Plus I haven't slept real sleep in days!

Also I don't want to have to resort to having to take something for sleep, I'm so tired but when I lay down I can't sleep! I've never been prescribed something before and I don't really like the effects of otc meds like NyQuil! My Dr. prescribed trazadone 50 but I worry about side effects! At this point though I'd be happy with 4 hours of sleep! Please let me know if you've had insomnia and what works for you!

Many thanks!

2 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Selina, I know you posted this awhile ago, but I’m having a similar problem and wondered how you are doing now. I also do not have a thyroid and have been on Armour Thyroid but found out it was way too much. I was letting my PCP adjust my meds, but decided to go see a endocrine dr who told me I was over medicated. The worst part has been the anxiety and panic attacks.
    • Posted

Hi Chasity, with both Levo and NDT, the ratios of T3/T4 are different from human ratios.  The higher the dose, the worse these are because your body can only process a certain amount.

When these ratios are out of balance, you get symptoms. Often of both hypo and hyper at the same time. Anxiety of course is one of the most severe symptoms. 

You might consider ThyroGold, as it is a non prescription glandular from bovine (cows), so the T3 is quite a bit lower than what you get with the NDT (which are porcine, pig, and have very high T3).

The ThyroGold works quite well, as my mother has had her thyroid removed and does quite well on this treatment.

Several others on this site also take ThyroGold and and have found it better than many of the prescription meds.

• Posted

Hi Chasity, with both Levo and NDT, the ratios of T3/T4 are different from human ratios.  The higher the dose, the worse these are because your body can only process a certain amount.

When these ratios are out of balance, you get symptoms. Often of both hypo and hyper at the same time. Anxiety of course is one of the most severe symptoms. 

You might consider ThyroGold, as it is a non prescription glandular from bovine (cows), so the T3 is quite a bit lower than what you get with the NDT (which are porcine, pig, and have very high T3).

The ThyroGold works quite well, as my mother has had her thyroid removed and does quite well on this treatment.

Several others on this site also take ThyroGold and and have found it better than many of the prescription meds.

• Posted

I agree about the anxiety! It's funny that I went hyper since I've been fine on the same dosage for years.

• Posted

I don't have ANY thyroid and I've suddenly developed the awful 'hyper' symptoms and my doctor reduced me about a 2 weeks ago and I still have racing heart, palpitations, diarrhea, insomnia ..... etc etc.. I sure hope it doesn't take a detox for those who don't even have a thyroid!

• Posted

Hello my name is Shavonda and this just happened to me as well. I dont have a thyroid either and have been to the ER over 20 times with bp issues and shortness of breath. Finally got dose bk right but still expreriencing shortness of breath. Worse feeling ever not sure how long thus is supposed to last but these past weeks are the worst i have ever felt!!! so scared feels like im having a heart attack but every time i go to the doctors they say its anxiety but niw problem is my bo is normal and too scared to take meds for anxiety!! Can someone help??

• Posted

Hello,

I'm experiencing the same issues. What was your outcome? I also had my thyroid removed 20+ years ago

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.