Help! How to work with a Frozen shoulder?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all,

I’m suffering from shoulder pain for more than 3 years now. Two year ago I experienced my first agonizing shoulder pain. The GP diagnosed calcific tendonitis. luckily a single cortisone injection resulted in complete pain relieve! 

In December last year I was knocked down, out of the blue, with unbearable neck pain, which lasted for almost a week. After the attack I noticed that I could not optimally use my arm anymore. Slowly my shoulder started to become painfull upon a point that the pain became almost unbearable... I have been recently diagnosed with a frozen shoulder for which I have received a cortisone injection. Unfortunately the pain did not fade away.... but the opposite was true! I experienced the most unbearable pain ever for 2 days! In the meantime 9 days have past and the pain is slowly getting less. I tried to pick up work again this week, however, I haven’t found a way yet how to manage the nerve pains, muscle tensions, shoulder knife stabbing pain sensations etc. I’m very curious to hear what your experiences are: 

Did you manage to work full time? 

Do you have tips how to do so?

Does it become better in the “frozen stage”?

Looking forward hearing your experiences!  

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry you are going through this (you aren't alone!). Sounds like your increased pain after your injection was what is known as a cortisone flare - I get them after a cortisone shot, not fun.

Being able to work full time greatly depends on what your job is... I am not able to as my job requires very heavy lifting throughout the day, and the severity of your symptoms.

Physical therapy with gentle stretching is critical (in my opinion), others swear by waiting it out, or surgical intervention, a MUA, or massage or acupuncture.

Personally, I have undergone MONTHS of physical therapy and recently had a procedure called a hydroplasty (I personally do not recommend this as is it was EXCRUCIATINGLY painful and you are awake for the entire thing, and I only got minimal improvement- others get great results and would endure the pain for it; just my opinion).

Find an orthopedic doctor and go over YOUR case and YOUR situation. That's my advice on where to start.

Best of luck to you, and again, I'm so sorry we have this awful thing in common.

• Posted

I’m sorry that you’re on here in such pain but hopefully you’ll read something that will help. 

I have bilateral frozen shoulders. I had an operation that helped with the range of movement but now I have unbearable nerve pain in both arms and wrists, so much so that it is hard to even pick things up and hold them. 

As for work I haven’t worked since October, I am a teacher so no lifting but writing and just being able to work with the kids is impossible. The meds I’m on make me very tired and no quite focused so I worry about my duty of care. Plus I can’t drive to get to work it’s so painful. 

I hope you have a great and understanding employer because you could be out for awhile. My contract expired and I didn’t get my job back so now I’m unemployed trying to get through this horrible thing but I can’t apply for work because I can’t work. 

I’m sorry it’s not what you wanted to hear but I guess each case of fs is different. I hope you are one of the lucky ones. 

I’m doing a couple of hours a week volunteering with an online business that lets me do things at my own pace. I’m hoping that I can eventually get paid for it as it’s perfect for me with this condition. 

Good luck and I hope it all goes well for you. 

• Posted

Silvanna72242, 

Oh my, I feel for you. No one understands unless they have been through or going through it.  I have battled with two frozen shoulders and different times. The right was in 2013-the most unbelievable pain; to the point it took my breath away. I went through 18 weeks of physical therapy with no pain medication. It took from freezing stage until good range of motion; 18 months. I know, not exactly what you want to hear.  It will get better, trust me;  I know. The left shoulder was different and I kept saying that.  My left was starting to freeze and then April 2017, I tripped and fell on the left shoulder-it took the blunt of the fall. From that point, many sleepless nights. Then came four months of physical therapy. That’s when I had to take pain medication. My orthopedic doctor decided surgery, Manual Manlipuation under Anesthesia. The reason for the surgery, he knew something was going on. Even my physical therapist kept saying that. Sooo glad I did. The doctor found bone spurs. There is no way I would be where I am in recovery; had it not been for surgery. One certain movement is requiring more attention but all in all; I am happy with the results. Try physical therapy and you “must” do the home exercises. I did continue work through both frozen shoulders. What helped me is I work behind a desk. Not sure where your faith is..pray. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Though it may be dim..

• Posted

Hello check out different discussions on this forum. Lots of advise on section new to this site

XX

• Posted

Yes, it is less painful in the frozen stage, but at that point the arm may as well be cemented into the socket. For me there was absolutely ro range of motion for a very long time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.