HELP? Hypothyroidism. Taking tablets but no better :(

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I am 25, I have been taking 50mg of Thyroxine for around 6months now. My doctor said my levels are now normal again and I will be fine BUT I am far from fine, I still feel so unwell.

The doctor has made me feel like a hypochondriac sad Saying I am fine.

I was originally diagnosed with depression years ago and took meds for that to no success, I knew it wasn't depression but the doctor insisted. It's only because I insisted on a blood test did I discover I had Hypothyroidism.

What can I do to help myself? I eat very healthy meals and exercise. I can't face feeling this way for the rest of my life as the doctor said I will.

Someone please help, I am in need of advise on what to do.

Thank you in advance

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sorry  hearing you are not feeling any better.  It does take along time for tablets to work I have heard a year or more.  That said do you know what your blood test results are.  Different labs use different ranges.  There is a lot of disagreement in the medical profession about what is a normal range.  You may be in the range but still hypothyroid.  Please read other postings on this subject.

Go back to your GP and tell him/her all your symptoms you should not be fobbed off or made to feel like a hypochondriac.  Some doctors do say once you are diagnosed you don't always lose all your symptoms.  But I don't think that is good

enough.  You may well need an increase to start to feel better.  I am no expert

but read up all you can about Hypothyroidism.  Good luck 

• Posted

I think 6 months is a long time to wait to feel better.  And feeling bad can make you depressed. Make a list of your continuing symptoms including physical and mental  and find a new doctor who will listen. There are doctors out there who will treat symptoms instead of your lab numbers.  Learn as much as you can about this problem so you can fight for better treatment.  It does help to make a specific list of exact symptoms. 
    • Posted

I will write a list thank you Terry. Have an appoinment with another doctor on Thursday so I will just be begging for help I think. 

• Posted

Omg Megan u have summed up exactly how I am. I have been diagnosed with under active thyroid now for the last 3 months nearly, I've been put on 25mg and then 40mg fluoxetine for my depression but I am far from alright. I constantly wee, I am so so tired. I couldn't go work today cos I was so tired. This is making my life hell and I know exactly how u feel. Ur lucky u can do exercise as I have no energy. I know exactly what ur going through and I wish I had answers and I would share as well. I'm going to docs tomorrow Nd I am demanding I get sorted as this is affecting my job and my money now xx
    • Posted

Hey to both of you..

I feel exactly the same :-( I'm also 25 and currently on 25mg but been up and down from 100mg got diagnosed as under active in December 201. Both what you have written is exactly how I feel.. you can feel so alone with this illness so knowing other people feel the same really helps to know you can talk about it.

I am so low all the time, so tired whether I'm relaxing or working I'm shattered.. i am so hungry all the time and feel so weak I need an energy drink to pick me back up.

I totally understand how you feel about feeling low, I'm seeing my consultant in 4 weeks and will tell him all about it.

My body just feels so weak all the time!

Hope everything settles down for you both xx

• Posted

Seems like this is a problem for alot of people. 

Kelli, it take every inch of willpower to get up and go but I refuse to be beat by this. 

I was like you 2years ago, I couldn't get out of bed but I believe that is not down to depression but the chemical inbalances that are going on. 

Thyroid really does control alot in your body, Horemones are a tricky thing sad 

Don't let it beat you chuck, keep your chin up. 

I suggest maybe asking to change the Fluoxetine you are on as that can make yu very sleepy and weak. Do you take it at night? 

I ask this as I was on that myself a few years ago and didn't like it at all. 

You need a pick me up not a bring me down haha! 

• Posted

It's a horrid thing it really is. If you tell people about it, you just get a funny look. In work when I told someone how tired i was and how ill i felt, they just said 'Well your not going to die, it can't be that bad' sad 

People just do not understand, unless you are going through it you don't understand. xx

• Posted

Thank you for replying. Ur exactly right, I have app tomorrow and I am quite strong in fact I will not take this laying down. I'm on the brink of losing my relationship and I will not let this do this to me xx
    • Posted

I know it's so hard as no matter what mg of the tablets I have been on I have had awful side affects! I hate taking it in the morning because I know what's going to be coming.. I feel awful xx
    • Posted

Meg ur right I do need a pick me up and not a put me down. I will ask tomorrow and see what they say. I got up at 8 today. Went bk to sleep at 1030 for an hour and then tired again now. It's so bad, if like to talk to u guys about this. I am on fb under Kelli bone. Please add me so we can discuss, my pic is of me and boyf in restaurant x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.