Help. I am 38(f) and am confused COPD

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi

I was diagnosed yesterday by my PCP as having very early COPD. I thought it was bronchitis. No further testing was performed. My mom died of COPD Chf and lung tumor. I'm well versed I. This and now want I think at the very least a Spirometry test. I am a 20 year pack a day smoker. Obviously beginning my quitting now. Any advice? Can this be diagnosed so quickly?

1 like, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Lizzielove,i am Arwinarwin you can get copd at any age,there are outher that have it and dident somke The frist thing to do is stop smoking if you stell do there is outher testing for copd i would have it get done to make shure.I have server copd and i am on oxygen 24/7.

• Posted

Yes you can get copd at any age but the vast majority are in their 50's and 60's after decades of smoking.  Non smokers can get it to but only around 15% of copd sufferers have never smoked.  There is also a link to second hand smoke ie if your parents or siblings smoked. 

It is unusual for young people to be diagnosed with it and they are the exception rather than the norm.  There is a genetic link but that is quite rare.  Being diagnosed with copd doesn't mean you will automatically end up on oxygen in due course.  I am very high moderate in my 60's and as my doctor said something else will get me firsrt! 

Exposure to certain jobs can cause it too ie the rag trade or construction etc.  x

• Posted

Oh I forgot to say copd is very common in the 3rd world as it can be  caused by open fires in their homes. 

• Posted

Thank you for your comment my copd is due to my smoking,and as you said my job,i was a dog groomer for over 30 years,Breathing in the dog hair and the fumes of the things we used dident help ,But i was yong and dident know what would happen.And i may have the genetic link as you said im waiting to find out from my test .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.