Help I am losing my mind!

Posted , 9 users are following.

This is my third night in a row that I can't even go to bed my legs are driving me crazy! It's so difficult trying to explain to people the complexities of RLS.  No one understands. My husband says just come to bed and you can just lie down and maybe you will drift off to sleep. If only it was that easy. I know it sounds mad but my legs won't let me sleep. Last night I actually went to sleep standing up and I ended up on the floor coz my legs gave way. Sometimes I just feel like I can go on. Damn RLS is ruining my life! Sorry folks, I just needed a rant and you are the only people who understand.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

You don't have to be sorry Jacki, many of us have been there!   It is horrible.  Eventually you do go to sleep, which is OK if you don't have to get up early and do stuff.

Buy a Magnesium Oil spray Jacki.   Does work.   You might have to apply twice sometimes.

Every good wish, L

• Posted

No, Jackie, you don't sound mad when you say RLS won't let you sleep. You sound pretty desperate. And you must be exhausted. When you look through the posts on this forum you will see loads of different things that people have found that help. Have you got a GP who will take you seriously and try and help? 

Hang on in there.

• Posted

Are you taking any meds for your rls?  Different meds work for different people.  Some well, some not well at all.  I take a cocktail of Robaxin , a muscle relaxant to help calm "jumpies"' , Norco which is a pain killer as my rls gets incredibly painful at night, Requip which is specifically for rls type diseases and if I begin to augment I add gabapentin and even stop Requip for a few weeks a

then begin.  Also.  I have boxes of lidocaine 5 percent patches which I used when certain spots, ankles, calves or thighs, ankles tops of feet, etc get achingly painful.  They work miracles.  I know this sounds like a pharmacy but trial and lots of error AND taking meds a couple hours before bed to be sure it is working does help a lot.  This is a horrible condition and different things work for different people so do start with a doctor familiar with the disease and don't give up.  Hopefully you will find one or a cocktail that will work for you.

• Posted

I know it's not ideal but the only thing I've ever discovered that works is Oramorph, I had to take some last night as I started twitching around 8pm.

• Posted

It's morphine in an oral solution. , it's prescribed for severe pain. I have lots left over from a near death motorcycle crash last year, 14 broken bones total, broken back in 2 places, every bone either side of my elbow which damaged the nerve leaving my wrist useless. All this 2 years after getting clean from a 14+ yr long heroin addiction.

Co codamol and Co dydramol also stop rls, again, not ideal but if you can manage your doses so as not to get withdrawl then it's a welcome relief.

• Posted

My rls started about 2 months after a spinal decompression operation. This op was 100 percent success but I finished up taking ropinirol for the resulting rls. Recently had cortisol injections  to relieve facet joint back pain. Within a week my rls has vanished and I have stopped taking ropinirol.

If anyone has lower back pain associated with their rls it might be worth a discussion with their GP.

regards, NicB

• Posted

Hi Jackie

No need for apologies - anyone with RLS will understand.  I've had it for over 30 years but it got considerably worse once I hit 50. I was prescribed pramipexole by my GP and it was instant relief. Without this I would be like you with no sleep.  It would be worth a trip to your doctor for advice. Hopefully your doctor is as sympathetic as mine.  Good luck ! 

• Posted

2 most effective things for me, soaking in a hot bath and using a bean bag as follows:  I make my bean bags with flannel and the cover with fleece.  8 inches by 20 inches, fill with approximately 6 cups of winter red hard wheat berries (so when laying flat about 1 inch high).  Heat in microwave for 2-3 minutes, take out and move around to mix wheat berries, and heat another 2-3 minutes.  Lie in bed face down with rear end up (looking cute:-), and bag at back of knees, between both legs, touching thighs and calfs.  Instant relief.  The wheat berries will stay warm for up to 30 minutes. Adjust legs to what is comfortable over time. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.