HELP I FEEL LIKE MY HEART IS STOPPING OR GOING TO STOP SCARED TO SLEEP :(

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi all iv not posted on here in a wile as iv been doing ok but had a lot of really bad chest pain and flutters and now just got in bed closed my eyes and it felt like my heart was stopping I'm petrified of going sleep now everything seems real quiet iv got the intense fear that something bad is going to happen and my heart is going to stop can my heart just stop I'm so scared to sleep im 22 female on propranolol 10mg was 3 a day but got it down to 1 a day as I was coping really well now iv gone back to square one and feel like my heart is gunna give up iv had numerous ecgs and blood tests and heart enzymes checked but why am I so scared my heart is gunna stop I can feel and hear it in my ears and throat but it's going so slow what if it stops in my sleep this isnt anxiety because I wasn't even panicking all I want to do now is ring a ambulance because I'm petrified of dying in my sleep my heart is like aching but beating really slow to the point I'm almost certain it's going to stop I really need reassuring please sad sad :

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

My pulse is really shallow and my heart is beating weird I really think my heart is stopping please can someone reassure me I'm so scared everything feels like it's gunna go black
    • Posted

Hi Laura80515,

I am deeply sorry you having these thoughts and feelings about your heart stopping. I can reassure you that your heart is not stopping nor are you going to die in your sleep. Like Jennifer said concentrate on something other then your heart beating and breathe like she suggested. I have been in exactly your position before, I understand how your feeling and thinking. If you like to guided meditations, it may relax you to the point of going to sleep. These thoughts will pass, I promise you that. We as a community are here to help you get through your pain.

• Posted

Laura if ur heart was going to stop the last thing u would have the energy to do is type ur message. U need to get ur mind interested in something. Wether it be reading , watching tv or even counting items around ur room. Anytime ur aware of ur heart beating it makes it seem twice as bad. Get focused on something. Take deep breaths in through ur nose 10 and out through ur mouth 10. U have become aware of ur heart beating and more than likely ur breathing wrong. This causes ur heart beat to become faster. And u can become light headed .
  • Posted

There's an app on smartphones. It's to check your heart rate. I would download the app. I felt the same way that and when my heart would feel like its going to beat out of my chest. It would calm me down to know my heart rate us normal.
  • Posted

Hi Laura, your heart is not going to stop. The fact that it is racing is that you are suffering from high anxiety. You need to talk to your doctor and see whether increasing the dose again is best for you or whether there is something else that will suit you better.  You also need something to ensure you get a good night's sleep. If you can't get to your doctor then suggest you call 111 and explain the situation to them.....they will then decide whether you need an ambulance or not.
  • Posted

I get this exact same thing, I have just woken to my heart feeling like it's going really slow and I can't stop checking my pulse as I'm afraid I am going to die In my slee! People keep telling me it's anxiety but I I don't know!

• Posted

Hi Laura, 

I have this horrible strong heart beat that makes me instantly interrupts my breathing but that because I feel the beat and then im like (frozen) and think f**k here we go, but honestly, this has been going on for about 2 years now and I'm 24 years old. So this started happening for me as it did for you. I bet your a healthy young lady but possibly now this is made worse by your anxiety that this will have caused you to feel. For me,  I mostly felt those big heart beats that felt like a stopping thud, then a restart as normal when I was anxious about something. I'd get like so anxious sometimes in the first few months that I couldn't talk if I was with someone, I'd have to lay down on the bed or go and run some water like a bath or jump in the shower to relax and I promise the water thing does work 😂😂 even now. So if your a healthy person and you haven't done any drugs or drank stupid amounts of alcohol over the weekend on nights out, I wouldn't worry, the heart is a strong muscle, it's just uncomfortable and it ruins my day and makes things harder when it happens because I just worry about having another one. Just before I wrote this I had a big one and I was like "f**k, that was a big one, I haven't had one like that in a while" so I then thought maybe this is it, it's going to stop 😂 Then about two minutes later I had another smaller one, then I was like I'm going on the internet 😂 I think I have these heart beats because when I was younger I don't quite a lot of cocaine and until recently have drank alcohol on the weekend. It's my own fault but for people like you, who are probably much much healthier than me and haven't damaged there body's then you'll be absolutely fine. Don't drink alcohol, cut down on take aways, get regular excercise, eat heart healthy foods, stop smoking if you smoke. All of that is bassicaly what I should do 😂 But maybe it'll help you if you do any of those. Once you start to feel healthier again your anxiety will calm down, the heart should stop giving you grief and you'll be sound. Whereas I'm probably doomed. 😂 Nah even I should be alright, I've put my heart through its paces and I'm still alive, fitness wise, drug abuse, alcohol abuse and bad diet. I'm in work right now writing this and all that nonsense is behind me. I hope this makes you feel better Laura. Don't worry you'll be alive for another 50+ years yet, as long as Kim Jong Un doesn't nuke us or something nuts like that 

• Posted

its ur brain problem don't take serious   merriage is solution of ur problem

• Posted

Dear sister always remember GOD is in control!...don't fall for satan lies!...satan is trying to destroy you through fear tactics and the demoniac "pythos"demon!...that's why a lot of your panic attacks symptoms are as if an invisible giant python is wrapped around you and squeezing the life out of you as if a real python is wrapped around you!...all you have to do is sincerely turn your life over to Jesus Christ if you haven't already!...and then allow The Lord to show you how to recognize these spiritual attacks from the evil one!...and how to defeat satan through prayer and knowledge of what he is trying to do to you!...reason I know is I too before I recognized what satan was doing used to go through exactly the same things you experienced!...satan know s we have Devine purpose in our life's and he's trying to kill us anyway he can!...but I decree and declare today that "no weapon formed against us shall prosper" Isaiah 54:17 KJV...keep fighting!...I will be praying for you dear sister in Jesus Name!...amen 737-802-7950 brother Everett

• Posted

I feel the same way all the time but the parmatics told me that the slow the heart rate the healthier and they told me it's very rare for anyone heart to just stop in less you have medical problems all your life or been having heart problems or breathing problems so it won't stop. In less you have medical problems

• Posted

I have this feeling right now my heart is beating very slow right now and I'm scared its gonna stop if I go to sleep its not dropping low or anything but I monitor my heart evey 10 mins to make sure it stay above 60 beats per minute but if you don't have any medical issues or any heart issues than it won't stop but I feel the same way all the time

• Posted

I know it's been a long time since you posted here, you may not even see the replies anymore. Wondering if you saw a cardiologist to ease your fears? 

I'm also replying because like myself, others will read this thread in search of answers. I too have been experiencing a very low heart rate and it scares the crap out of me, which causes anxiety and I'm guessing other symptoms that may or may not be related to a real issue or just anxiety, it's really frustrating and scary. When I say low, I'm talking between 46 and 50 bpm when I'm laying down, the lack of sleep is keeping me up until morning, which also doesn't help anxiety, it's a vicious cycle. I see a cardiologist reg. and everything is always great, but I still can't stop stressing about it. I also feel a weird almost squeeze in my chest on the left, under my boob area when I'm dozing off, it's startling and I open my eyes, it's very scary, the whole thing. If anyone has any insight, please share! My normal HR was always low, 60 at rest, which is normal and healthy, that doesn't scare me..but this dropping to 46?? that terrifies me! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.