Help.I have dry cough for over two months also chronic pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone

Really hope someone can help. In Jan i got a bad chest infection..took two lots of antibiotics, steroids. This did not clear cough. I was then put on two inhalers...which is a new experience for me. I have had a chest x-ray..which was clear. Its now two months on..I cannot clear this cough. I am on Codinex since yesterday..so far no luck. To add further complications..I have chronic pain....so the extra rib/muscle pain is really hard to cope with. I am on meds for cp.....so all the extra meds.....

I am desperate for help..and worried.

Thank you

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello, sorry to hear you have been having a cough that doesn't seem to clear up. 

I would suggest that you should request a prescription for a 'Pulmonary Function Test' (PFT). This is a test that checks for, lung % breathing capacity, oxygen saturation, obstruction's in the lungs, or anything regarding COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonology diseases). Following this test, if your doctor feels so, you should be referred to a Pulmonologist, or someone who specializes with Pulmonology. I also think possibly an Allergist could help too, especially if Asthma is found.

This is what I recommend, but possibly you could have a better plan, but I have found the PFT to be very helpful in finding what could be wrong  regarding lung issues. I wish you luck!

Brenda xo 

• Posted

Hello, I wanted to also address the pain that you are experiencing in your ribs. In my experience, I would think that possibly the pain could be due to many weeks of coughing. Coughing is very hard on our bodies, especially blood vessels inside our throat and the muscles surrounding the ribs. 
  • Posted

Hi. I am 58 and have had COPD for 9 years now, and while some friends who have it have say their condition has improved, that's not my experience. Every winter has been getting worse, and this last winter (2015/16) I have had constant lung infections - they usually start as viral infections with fever, coughing up glue-like phlegm (and sometimes blood), and often vomiting. Then a few weeks in the symptoms seem to change, I visit my GP, and get told I have secondary bacterial (and sometimes more viral) infections - these typically include pneumonia, pleuresy and bronchitis. The usual process which follows is that I am prescribed amoxycillin, which rarely works, and then when I return to the GP in a worse state, they usually prescribe me doxycillin, which often makes me better, but not always. I have been ill for about 4 of the last 6 months, and my quality of life is poor - I rarely go out, and if someone coughs next to me, I get paranoid about being infected. I have bad lung pain and trouble sleeping, but my GPs don't believe in painkillers or sleeping pills, so I have to sort them out myself on the local drug scene - the alternative is pain and moaning all day and night. The NHS is failing, and after a lifetime of hard work, I feel badly let down.
    • Posted

Hi, I am so sorry that you are in such a bad place.  Unfortunately I can't offer you any helpful suggestions but I just wanted to let you know I am thinking about you as I'm sure we all are on here and I send love and hugs.

Deanne xxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Posted

Hi Deanne,

sorry to hear about your lung infections and secondary ones too. I also stay away from sick people too, especially in public.

I find that exercise helps me a lot in making me stronger physically and healthwise too. I also take daily vitamins too. My exercises are done sitting down, since it is difficult for me to walk far. I stand and sit repeatedly, about 20 times. I do them in groups of 5, then rest, then do 5 stand and sits again, rest, etc., until reaching 20. Later in the afternoon, when I have time, will do another 20 stand n sit's. When I first began exercising, it was difficult, so I went slower, it didn't take much time for it to become easier, once started. 

Hope I helped some, 

Brenda xo

• Posted

Thanks Brenda,

I expect to be contacted by the "Rocket" team physios next week but in the meantime I'll try your exercises, you really have helped.  I too take vitamins and Polycal food supplement as I've lost a stone in weight after my flare-up which won't help much will it?  I still get tired easily.  So many people on here are much worse off than me and they are much younger too (I celebrated my 70th yesterday).  I always greeted friends with a hug but I've stopped doing that now and I wish my husband would wear a mask when he goes shopping!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bless you.

Love

Deanne xxx

• Posted

Deanne, Thank you, and I am glad to of helped! I have been trying to lose some weight, because I've heard that it really can make a difference in breathing, making it better. I probably need to take off about 40 lbs, but for some reason, it is difficult to do, but may be due to my medications. 

Bless you also! 

Have a Happy Easter! 

Brenda xoxo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.