HELP! I'm a mess!!!

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am 45 years old and experiencing menopause.  I am looking for any help and support I can get.  My periods were regular until January of this year.  Now I have one every 40-50 days and they are light.  April 28th my doctor took me off of work until July 28th because I am just a mess! She put me on Primpro and anxiety meds (which have actually helped me get off the couch) I can't drive very far because I can't focus and feel confused.  I have had to pull over and just sit until my mind clears and the sweating stops.  My hands and bottoms of my feet sweat, I have numbness in my arms legs and neck. I get what feels like an overload of adrenalin and scares the crud out of me.  I have been to the ER several times in the beginning because I really thought I was having a stroke. I have had every test possible and they all come back normal with the exception of my hormones. I woke up this morning sick to my stomach and clammy all over.  I actually forced myself to go out with my husband yesterday to lunch and to the grocery store.  (was not fun but I did it) Even though I know it menopause I still keep thinking maybe the doctors are missing something, I know they aren't but I just can't believe that menopause has made me this sick.  I was an active, happy person and now I am stuck in this mess!  HELP?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi there.

The trouble is with this change of life, it affects everyone of us differently. I've even had spotting after two years back in march! I had to go to the hospital for an ultra scan. But the guy said that things sometimes happen to our bodies we can't explain. 

He said everything was normal. He sent me on my way. I recieved a letter back telling me everything was normal.

So unless you are vomiting, or bleeding heavily, it's nature unfortunately. If your tum is bloated, or you have pain get it checked out.

It can make you sleepy especially for me in the afternoons. I teach and I'm totally knackered when I'm 

On the bus, I fall asleep! But anyway, as long as you are not feeling lots of pain, I wouldn't worry too much. 

As for the sweating that might be something to do with your hormone glands. If it happens regularly.

Go see your GP they can help with you with excessive sweating. I don't know if you like to watch embarrassing bodies on tv I do I must say I've learnt quite alot, from watching it. Anyway take care 🐥

• Posted

Have you considered Hormone Replacement Therapy?  If you are a healthy active woman, you should consider it.  Life is too short to go through this.  Consult your doctor and see if it is an option for you.
    • Posted

I agree with frankie life's too short , I have come off of HRT because of my age will see how it goes I have not ruled out going back on it for quality of life 
  • Posted

Dear momocip, I was in a worse situation this time last year. All my test results were okay. At the moment, I am still feeling sick but not like before so trust the doctors when they tell you it's nothing. All shall gradually phase out. I have been in it exactly one year now and seeing the changes. You will surely get put of it. I am not 100% out but see the difference. Some days are good, others are very bad. I had endoscopy, ultra sound, cut scans, mri and many others including a whole lot of blood work. At the beginning, we thought it was something strange so my husband sent me to Norway but nothing was found. At this stage, you need people around to support you. As I write, I have moved in with , y extended relations where there are children, just for a change which is also xterm important. Try to do things that you loved doing. I know it's very difficult but do not let it get the better of you. I am going to go back to driving very soon. Good luck
  • Posted

Oh goodness... you poor girl. You are in the (what was for me) the worst part. I haven't ever had  the sweating really bad. Just moderate. But I've never been a sweater. My advice is to force yourself off the sofa and exercise. Even if just for 15 minutes a day. Get on the treadmill or an incumbant bike, a row machine. Also get to a nutritionist and get yourself on a really good vitamin regiment. Cut out sugars, foods with high carbs, diet soda... anything with Aspartame in it. When buying foods you really have to look at the labels. The more chemicals you eat they more you're throwing your own natural chemicals off. Make sure your meats and poultry have not been injected with hormones or antibiotics. A really awesome lady named Jay on here will (I'm certain) give you advice on vitamins. Don't be surprised if your period starts up in full swing and some. This foggy crap and all that you're going through will pass... hang in there.  
  • Posted

Hi Momocip,

I think you'll find that people fall into one of two categories here either for or against HRT, personally I'm against as you have to come off it at some stage so you're putting off the inevitable. Why not try natural methods first? there are loads out there. Lots of people recommend Maca here, and Vitex agnus castus. I go for D3, B vitamins (calm your nerves) and omega 3 as well as a strict anti inflammatory diet. Everyone's different and everyone reacts differently so you have to try things out. I'd just like to point out that my mum was a healthy active woman and she got breast cancer after HRT. 

• Posted

I agree... My Auntie got breast cancer from HRT. I'm for the totally natural way as well. And it's a lot of trial and error with either choice. You'll find the right formula... 
  • Posted

I am not necessarily pro hormone but went 14 months trying the diet, vitamins, Maca, etc.  I lost 15 pounds and exercise daily but was still in pain everyday.  It's been the right choice for me.  I also have no history of breast cancer in my family.  I will eventually go off it but needed a break or was going to lose it.

• Posted

Thank you Ladies for all of your support and comments!  I made myself get off the couch today and washed the dogs, went to the store and mowed the lawn (my husband will be shocked!)  I have to admit when the icky feelings come on if I get up and get moving they pass!  I am currently on HRT but will seriously look in to natural remedies as well.  This morning sucked but this afternoon has been much better and I will tell you the anxiety meds help tremendously......this is not a fun chapter of my life but it makes me feel better knowing that I am not alone.  I am hoping to eventually be able to get back on my bike and ride with my husband and drive further than a mile....you have all been such a huge help!  I still feel like crud but this to shall pass, right?
  • Posted

It is really difficult but try to get your husband to read about what you are going through and talk to him about how you used to feel and how you feel now, he needs to understand so he can support you and understand when you don't feel like doing things!  I didn't do this and just pushed mine away and nearly lost him, he still doesn't really understand what I have been through but is a lot more caring and supportive now.  Good luck
  • Posted

It is very weird how any hormonal umbalance can mess us up!  I had plenty of scary symptoms, as bogus heart attacks, joints and muscular pain, a buggy tinnitus, confusion, dizziness, even a non stop caugh and ALL THAT just afther I lost only ONE period.  My gyno does not belive in PERIMENOPAUSE and says my complaints are more likely to be from aging, and I know it is not - you just do not go to bed YOUNG and wake up OLD the next day. Well, MENOPAUSE IS AGING, LOL.  The thing is that hormons  are very difficult to trac and if they do not see proof your hormons are crazy, they keep trying to find other reasons for your misery. After 6 months of that, I am feeling much better, but now I am too AWARE of my symptoms, what means I am over concerning, so I feel every little thing I would never pay attention.  BUT I do believe it is just a phase, for some it will take months, for some, more. The problem is that there are many symptoms related and some times you get ride of one and find another one on the way. I found that eating better, NO SUGARS, low carbs and fats, and lots of fruits, vegetables, fish and water in profusion,  have somehow helped with all that. Do not like the idea of HRT, but for some it is fundamental. Good luck and keep calm smile if you have the chance, try yoga, even at home.
  • Posted

Hi there, hope you're feeling well today. I can relate to every thing (and more) say in you post. I've also been a mess over the last few years. It usually takes something

else in my life to happen like my, daughter having her children or my youngest daughter getting married, for me to focus on them rather then me. After my youngest was married last October I went into a bit of a depression after all the excitement. It was a horible feeling and it got worse over the winter. The worst for me was the constant migraines, they were laying me up for three and four days at a time. Thats when I made a decision I should start on HRT to get some quality of life back while I was still young and enjoy myself again, I would worry about coming off it later. I made an appointment to see a female doctor about the same age as myself. This was the best thing I could have done because she has been a great help. I poured my heart out to her. I had a blood test that confirmed I was in menopause but we both decided against HRT because it seems as if I've gone through the worst of it already. But 

my anxiety and headache were really bad so she started me on atenolol which is a beta blocker. I've been on them three weeks now and I can honestly say I feel a lot better then I have in a long time. The adrenalin rush that you spoke about I also suffered with has gone completely. I had an appointment today with my now wonderful lady doctor and she checked my blood pressure and heart rate (beta blockers slow it right down) and she was happy to give me a repeat prescription and said I should go back and visit her regular if I need to. Those words alone made me feel better, just knowing someone is taking notice make all the difference. Or maybe I'm her guinipig for when she's going through her menopause. 

Sorry if I've gone a bit but your not going through this alone and you will be active again one day, hang on in there and take care. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.