Help I really need advice, I believe that I have health anxiety and I've had panic attacks

Posted , 6 users are following.

For the past month and a half my life has been crazy. Worrying about my health and experiencing a wierd heartbeat lead me to believe that I was having a heart attack and I ended up in the ER.

The results from the ER came back as negative and they said that I possibily has a panic attack. My blood pressure was through the roof 190/86 or in that ballpark. After this event I kept having chest pain and I always thought I would have a heart attack or a stroke.

I have been plagued with physical symptoms ever since. My fingers will get cold, half of my face would be numb, fingers would tingle. Now the main symptoms that occur for me is pressure on the back of my head, some chest pain, and occasionally pain in my arms, sometimes they feel heavy.

I talked to a cardiologist and my GP. He thinks that I am having anxiety issues and I have been perscribed stuff to help with blood pressure and cholestrol.  I haven't had follow up test but I will soon, my heart appears to be normal besides a it being a little fast.

I have loss 15 pounds since this happened, my blood pressure is 125/80 and I am still worried that I am going do die. It's not every day and I feel like I've gotten better, but I am going to training in a different state for a couple of days but I am scared that I could have problems. I don't know what to do, please help. How do you guys handle this? Is this normal? I feel like I'm close to getting out of this funk, but I'm scared that these symptoms mean I could have something serious

3 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Not trying to double post, but I can't edit. I have a wierd sensation in my head as well, it feels wet sometimes. I know it sounds crazy.
  • Posted

This is all classic health anxiety and I know it is dreadful.

You can stay in bed all day or you can get up exercise eat well meditate keep hydraed.

Anxiety thrives off fear and if you let it it will take over your life.

Drugs alone wont help try therapy,it is free in UK but there is a waiting list.

There is also a online CBT

Stay Strong and dont let it beat youcool

• Posted

Thank you so much.

It is scary and everytime I think I'm fine it gets worse. I'm thinking that my future work related visit isn't helping things. I'm scared that something will happen on the plane, I've rode them before.

I'm in the U.S. but I do plan on talking to one soon. It's just hard with this happening while I'm looking for jobs.

What is a CBT?

Thank you for the help

• Posted

If the drs don't think it's serious, then its not serious. It's the anxiety you need to treat,not the physical side effects of the anxiety. Ask them to include therapy in your treatment plan and you should get on a bit better
    • Posted

True, I think the fact that there are still more test to do make me uncertain.
  • Posted

Hi there tdog, it does sound like classic symptoms from anxiety. You have been checked out and your Dr isn't concerned about your physical health. Anxiety is rotten but you can beat it. Lynne is right it does thrive off fear and the more you feed it the worse it gets. Therapy can help so definitely ask about that. Different breathing techniques help too, youtube it and maybe a self help book. Best of luck to you. cheesygrin
    • Posted

Thank you. Yeah my doctors act like my symptoms arent bad at all.

But in the back of my head I'm like well they might have misses something.

Breathing techniques and the book should help also. I'll have it for the flight.

• Posted

You sound exactly like me... After I had my baby about a month after I went to my family dr... Did bloodwork .. And t came out abnormal... I went in the first place for abnormal bowels but I have depression and anxiety... He told me to go ask my OB/GYN if this was normal after having a baby and I saw the PA not my actual OB .. She said it didn't so there I go to my dr so they can run all these tests which btw my stress level was crazy at this point not knowing what was wrong with me... They ran test after test after tests and some I had to wait a month for... I had a follow up appt with my actual OB a few months later and told him what was going on... He said he could've saved me all the stress cause the abnormal bloodwork was because I just had a baby.... I was furious! All that time away from my family and stress and depressed not knowing... Well now..... I have panic attacks... And health anxiety.... This has changed my life all because one lady was too lazy to ask the actual Doctor ... I get headaches ... Tingling feelings in my face and all over my body... Ringing in my ears... Aches and pains all over.... Pins and needles feelings ... Sharp pains in my head... I can go on and on but it's anxiety.... It's stress... Stress can do so much to our bodies... Stress on top of the worry.... Can do so much! I was having heart palpitations and just the night before last I was sleeping and woke up to a panic attack.... Heart beating 200MPH and you can hear your heart beating out of your chest! So YES it's normal if all your tests come back normal then yes .... Believe me I learned the hard way what stress can do. I wish I didn't have to go through this and what helps the most is this website. Seeing others that go through the same.
    • Posted

Mine started 2 months after my second baby. Also because of a doctor not knowing what was wrong. Gotta love the lazy ones. Luckily my doctor now was finally able to help!
    • Posted

I'm so sorry that happened to you. I never expected stress to be so tough on us.

I've had some of those symptoms it's not fun at all

• Posted

Same thing happened to me. I had pneumonia and all of a sudden my heart rate was high (obviously) but to me it started a downward spiral. Constant fear of heart racing, panic, palputations, etc. On meds and it's helping, but of course I don't believe the doctors that my results and several ekgs within a months time were fine. It gets easier. Try lavender anti anxiety essential oil. It helps a lot. It might be in my head, but telling yourself something works actually makes you believe it works. I never had really bad chest issues Until anxiety. Just something we have to deal with I guess. It does get easier to deal with though.. Eventually you'll get to a point where you can notice you're new normal and it won't even bother you anymore.
    • Posted

I never heard of that stuff I will have to buy it thank you. It does suck when everything is looking good but you still don't feel better.

I understand I am feeling better but since I'm traveling without my safe person I am so nervous that I could end up in trouble.

• Posted

There are phone apps in your app store that you can download to help you relax. Some are pretty good.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.