Help, i really need support for weird anxiety symptom (tingles and phantom itching)

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

So i had a terrible panic attack the beginning of the week and what followed was tingling feeling over my entire body- and today my face feels very itchy in yet when i scratch the itch it doesnt satisfy it. I am terrified i have a neurological issue, but ive heard that this can be caused by anxiety? that perhaps this is my nerves are overactive because of stress? can anyone confirm that or have had the same experience

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

yes I have had that happen several times. It’s a weird feeling when you can’t relieve the itch. The tingling is very common with anxiety and panic. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had that. Please don’t jump to thinking you have a neurological issue.

when you get an unusual sensation, think of the most logical and common explanations first. That’s usually the cause. And yes, anxiety can definitely irritate the nerves. I’ve had the tingling, the weird itching that’s not relieved, I’ve had sensations on my face that feels like there’s a hair on it but there isn’t, I’ve had blurred vision ,etc. all because of the fact that anxiety tends to show sensations in the nervous system. They are harmless. I’ve had this on and off for over 30 years. I just basically ignore it at this point and it goes away. this is why many people with anxiety and panic think they have a neurological condition but they actually don’t. I hope this helps!

• Posted

What a relief i definitely needed to hear someone else has experienced this, thank you for your thoughtful and kind reply. I guess i have to not panic about the discomfort of it and just remind myself it'll eventually go away.

• Posted

I have not had this experience last that long, but when I have had a anxiety attack, my face goes numb. My fingers and toes do too. My face gets tingly and my lips go to sleep. I believe a lot of this is because our breathing is too fast & too shallow.

Have you tried to calm yourself, like hot baths, candles, oils, or stuff you enjoy doing?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.