Help! I've been diagnosed with Gerd a year or so ago.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have experienced some choking a few times in the past. A couple times where I couldn't get food to go up or down.. Thought I was dying. About 2 months ago, I was eating some yogurt with granola. I choked so bad. Thought I was going to die. Then, finally it went down. I was left with a sore throat. I have post nasal drip almost every night, my stomach burns right below the breast bone and I am nauseated most every day. I feel that my throat feels closed up a bit. I have tried eliminating some foods but can't figure out what it is. I also have extreme burping and reflux. This past week, I was woke up twice with reflux and liquid coming up. I am going to the doctor soon. I am terrified. Do I have Esophagus cancer or stomach cancer?? I hate tests and waiting on results. I have been on prilosec but it just seems to mask the problem. I can still feel the burning. I also have a lot of rumbling. SCARED

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Pamela,

It's highly unlikely you have cancer. Your symptoms would be different.

I can empathise entirely as I've been there myself.

The symptoms you describe are commonly reported for extra-oesophageal reflux.

The reflux of matter from the stomach into the oesophagus has continued full column and attempts to breach the upper oesophageal sphincter. The muscles tighten in an attempt to prevent that. This can result in dysphagia (swallowing difficulties). (I remember a few years ago attempting to rush a sandwich at work and it getting stuck. I was lying on the floor thumping my chest trying to get it to move. If anyone had come into the office, they'd have thought I was having a heart attack.

Go to the www DownWithAcid org uk site and check out the chapter on extra-oesophageal reflux to learn more about it.

Hopefullly your doctor will send you to a gastroenterologist who'll want to examine your oesophagus with an endoscope to check nothing's wrong and put your mind at rest.

He'll also probably prescribe acid suppressant medication so that the reflux isn't so damaging - and the burning (oesophagitis) will gradually reduce.

• Posted

Thank you so much for this info and putting my mind at ease!
    • Posted

Barrett's

I forgot to mention that I have fullness and bloating also. Is that part of it?

• Posted

Hi Pam:  Yes, be careful of grains like granola.  You will struggle with that but it gets better with time.  You are right now over sensitive and anxious about all of whats happening to you.   I did the same and choked on everything and had chronic coughing that irritated my throat for hours and sometimes for days.  Suffering with hoarseness was the item that stayed with me the longest.  Once I realized the famotidine was one of the meds side affects.  Be careful not to stay on the meds to long and I don't recommend the PPi's, they will really mess with you normal digestive system.  Keep your stress level down, that is one really important issue to monitor for your choking and swallowing...Hang in there. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.