Help! I've had episodes of random extreme heartrate, I'm 18 and can't afford another Dr visit.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 18 years old. I've always been pretty healthy, I have allergies, allergy induced asthma, and have had to go to the blood doctor quite a few times to fix an iron and B12 deficiency which I have figured out were because of a gluten sensitivity. As of today I am healthy except this odd thing! In the past year, I've had four separate instances that have freaked me out a little. Twice at school, one at work, and one when I was hanging out with my friends. It's where my heart suddenly goes to an extremely high rate.(I can still count the beats so I have never called an ambulance). Every time it has happened it's been when I sit down or stand up fast, and it goes back down within 10-15 minutes. I get shortness of breath and feel my heart POUNDING but that's about it. YOU CAN HEAR MY HEARTBEAT IN MY BREATH! My mom says anxiety but the times it has happened I was not feeling anxious. Went to a heart doctor after the first episode and he said it was just adrenaline and said my heart looked fine on a sonogram and EKG(sitting). I have thought maybe it was POTS but it has only happened on four very spread out occasions so I'm not sure. Plus I am usually fine when standing and sitting. Have never fainted. Someone HELP! Should I be worried?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi mel  ,try looking at  torsade de point on patient uk. i know sounds daft name but it is health prob with heart .good luck 
    • Posted

thank you for the response Anthony. i do not believe it is that because there are only two ways you can get it: 

1) you're born with it genetically

2) the drugs you are taking

i am not taking any of the drugs that cause this and i have not had this my entire life until now. also nobody in my family has had this. thank you for your response!

• Posted

Hi  mel just do food diary for a week , just to check on your potassium/magnesium levels ,it just might be shortage of them.good luck.
  • Posted

It sounds like you're having episodes of tachycardia. As someone else said, it could indicate you needing a top up of potassium and magnesium.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.