Help, I've suffered from upper eyelid twitching

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, 

I'm 40 years old women. 

I live in South Korea. So I'm poor speaker of English..

My right upper eyelid twitching started 6 months ago.

At first twitching was a few times a day, and there were many days or weeks without twitching. 

Since 3 months ago, my upper eyelit twitching was more often and sometimes all day long. There were twiching-free day also. 

I googled my symptom, and I find that maybe I'm HFS.

In wikepedia, I read that initial symptom of HFS is lower eyleid twitching, mostly. But in my case only upper eyelid twitches.

Is there anyone whose initial symptom is upper eyelid twitching? 

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Skyhighforever,

I don't think you need to apologise about your English. Your post is very clear indeedsmile

I also think the very specific way you are going about finding out exactly what your problem is will really help you. ( the way you make a distinction between the upper and lower eyelid, for example. )

As you say, a lot of sources ( but not all) report that HFS starts in the lower eyelid and your twitching has started in the upper one. I don't know if that means that you have actually got a different condition, but you are certainly asking all the right questions and considering all the important details.

My HFS started so long ago ( 14 years) that I can't recall which eyelid was affected first- maybe other people who post here can be more exact.

I know that from time to time I can get a flickering in my other eye ( which is not HFS I hope!) and this can be in the upper lid like yours. There are other reasons why an eye may twitch and flicker that may not be related to HFS. But if you know about/ suffer from HFS ( such as posters on this forum) it may be that you are more likely to see any eye flicker as an early sign of this condition. It certainly helps to find out if you have got HFS at an early stage as this may save you years of discomfort and upset.

Your level of detailed thinking ( like your English!) is fantastic and with this approach I am sure you will be able to find out whether it is HFS or not. I don't know how easy it is to get an MRI scan in South Korea, but this is the method that is used to highlight the compressions of the nerve that show that HFS is causing spasms and twitching in a person's face. Sometimes this does not show anything at all though. There are people who have HFS who didn't get clear images of the cause of the twitching and spasms from an MRI scan.

Good Luck. I think your systematic way of gaining further knowledge will enable you to find out what is the likely cause of your symptoms.

• Posted

Hi from here in the UK.  In my experience of HFS it is quite possible that the twitching can start in the upper eye lid.  Your English is very good!  Please have a look at the other recent posts on this forum for Hemifacial Spasm and you may like to join the Facebook Hemifacial Spasm International Support Group too where you will find lots of info in the FILES section.  I believe that Korea has some good research into Hemifacial Spasm if this is what you have.  Only a neurologist will be able to diagnose it, and often even the doctors don't know too much about it.  Wishing you well.  Please just ask if there is anything we can help with.
  • Posted

Skyhighforever,

From your description of the twitches, be happy you don't have HFS. Maybe you just need more sleep.

For me HFS started with slight twitching (in the early stage) of the upper left eyelid and progressed to thumping sound in the ears, forced eye closures, and then pulling of the mouth to to the left.

It does not come and go like yours because you said you have many days and weeks without twitching.

Maybe you are alright now.

Do let us know after you have the diagnosis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.