Help!?! IBS/Reflux/Gastroscopy/Gastrisis

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all,

So about a month ago I had a flare up (which I've never had previously) of what my doctor thinks could be acid reflux or gastrisis and maybe even IBS.

I go for a gastroscopy done in a few weeks hopefully but I'm terrified! The pain has eased considerably. It's still present after eating then eases off again, however I've noticed that where he belly button lies, on either side I have a dull ache, nothing drastic - more annoying that anything, slightly feels muscular.

I've had an ultrasound which showed no problems so I'm not worried about my organs.

I take omeprazole and gaviscon.

I've never suffered with any type of stomach trouble before so I'm a bit confused as to why it's just happened, I did catch a bug abroad a few years ago so maybe it's something to do with that?

Are these pains normal?

What can I expect when I go for an endoscope?

Will this pain ever go away completely?

How long should it last?

Sorry for overloading with questions but im very nervous. Medically I've never had anything wrong, I'm only 27 and terrified and what lies ahead.

X

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Wont feel a thing. Will knock you out with anesthesia and will wake up 30 minutes later.Will have a bit of a sore throat in the beginning but will subside after a few hours. As of the flare up maybe the omeprazole and gaviscon might have something to do with it. If your on medication for a while(any meds) you will encounter stomach problems in the future,
    • Posted

I only started taking them after it started which was about a month ago. Before then I never took anything. It's very strange how it come on all of a sudden, I'm just grateful it has eased off because it was terribly painful to start with, now it's manageable.

Will I feel completely asleep? It says partial on the form here in the UK, I'm overthinking it I think as in worried about gagging, breathing and being sick x

• Posted

Im unaware in the UK. Here in the U.S im sure they knock you out. I wouldnt stress it, just be brave and everything will be O.k.
    • Posted

I've just had a endoscopy. I don't remember a thing. No problem. They say that they don't completely knock you out in that it's not like anesthesia during an operation but it's enough that you're essentially asleep and unaware of what's happening. You won't choke. As for the omeprazole, it is probably helping you feel more comfortable. There are side effects from drugs like omeprazole but that's after long term use and not so much about stomach problems but about increasing risks of problems in other areas and that's for the few - not for everyone. The endoscopy will go a long way toward telling you the source of the pain and giving your doctors info on how to treat you. Best to take some deep breaths and not let your imagination run away with you.
    • Posted

Thanks so much dahlia this has really helped. I'm gonna have to man up and get it done or I'll never get right. X
    • Posted

I have had several endoscopies over the years.   If you tell the gastroenterologist that you want sedation you will be fine.   They will spray your throat and then put the sedation through a canula in your arm.  You wont feel a thing, it only takes about 10 minutes.  You will need someone to collect you afterwards as you are not allowed to drive after having sedatioi have gastritis and it can be terribly painful.  To me it feels like a burning sensation in my stomach. I hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

Oops !  That should read ....after having sedation.   I have gastritis .....
  • Posted

omeprazole and gaviscon at the same time? it might result to unwated side effects..i really do not know i am not an expert sad i know some doctors who would recommend herbs, like when my mama had myoma.she was supposed to have an operation but when she asked for a second opinion, the other doctor saw her a picture of a plant..she got and planted it and she recovered.. maybe there are good herbs, fruits, and veggies that people can recommend for your dgestive problems.. i hope you will find your cure soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.