Help! In a bad way... scared and insomnia before even tackling withdrawal

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello good people off this forum. I have finally decided to write about my Mirtazapine troubles after a solid week reading forums. 

As I write this, I am an anxious wreck, 'cyberchondria' of constant googling mirtazapine and withdrawal stories. I have been on 15mg for 5 months, loosely prescribed by a locum doctor in a time of family upheaval (I had to return from abroad following my dad having an accident.) Ironically he is fine now and I am the one with problems. 

I tried tapering 2 weeks ago to 7.5mg, started to feel myself and emotions coming back but the withdrawals hit home soon after in the form of insomnia so I reinstated back to 15mg. Ever since I have become progressively worse, and reading suicide related deaths (robin Williams for instance) to this drug has me terrified. 

I am a 28 year old male, 6 foot and skinny. Mirtazapine has done little for my weight gain. 

I don't know what is up with me the last few days with insomnia, no appetite, scary thoughts and an inability to focus on anything except these forums. 

Sometimes I fear I will have insomnia for life (read that on some website) and sometimes I think 1 or 2 years from my now this will all have been a hellish nightmare. 

I just want to be drug free and live my life like I used to, happy-go-lucky type character. 

Honestly, been depressed in bed for days was much better than been hot-wired with anxiety. 

Tomorrow i will visit my doctor and see what he says, having periously discussed moving from mirtazapine to prozac following a meeting with the mental health team. 

I am lucky, however, that I have the support of my parents who do their best for me. 

From my research I have seen the most positive posts regarding withdrawal are 15mg alternative nights with week 3 taking every third night etc.

In summary compulsive googling, having a taster of withdrawal have my cortisol flooding my brain. Ironic... debilitating anxiety before even withdrawing from an anti-anxiety drug. 

For reference, I have withdrawn from Sertraline, with the main problem being brain zaps. 

Does anybody have any advice for my predicament? 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It's horrible anno, I'm not a Dr but my nurse was forever telling me "Stop googling" I didnt agree at the time but now I can see it caused me unnecessary anxiety. Most of what I had read, I never experienced. Have you tried alternative medicine, things like Passiflora, excellent for anxiety?

I snapped my 15mgs tab in half at night, kept PPMP & Phenergan by my bed & chewed PPMP if/when I felt bad.

• Posted

I think I will be switched to Prozac and hopefully save my life. Hot wired anxiety. Thank you so much for your reassuring comment, I will hopefully be advised to taper to half like you did
    • Posted

Im reducing from 45mg tp 30mg mitrazapine and im the same been googling mitrazapine withdrawel syptoms and im terrified of whats too come xxx
    • Posted

Everybody's different, you may , or may not have these withdrawal symptoms. Withdrawing slowly under supervision helps. 👍

• Posted

Im under the doctor i dont know how long ive too wean myself off them following his advice. I just hope i dont get any bad side effects i need to work. Thanks for your reply x
  • Posted

Hi I’m trying to get off mirtazapine I was given it 2 years ago and at my highest I was on 37.5mg I’ve been tapering since December 20th I was on 30mg then and today I’m going to be reducing again 

I managed to get to 6mg tonight going to 4.5mg I reduce every month and it’s hell my head is ready to explode and I’ve become a recluse please try and change to something else if you can mirtazapine has wrecked my life

• Posted

Not ti encourage you to google but see surviving antidepressants. They suggest starting with a 10% taper and go from there. That is a harm reduction approach. I would also suggest some talking therapy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.