Help! In need of advice!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I need advice on what to do as I am embarrassed to talk about it with others! I have had acne for about a year (it started about a year after I came off the contraceptive pill) I’m 22 and I rarely got spots until I was 21. My mum mentioned PCOS so I went to the doctors and they prescribed me acncide spot cream and to be honest it completely works for me, it controls my break outs and after about 3 months of using it I no longer have acne! But he wouldn’t do anything about my PCOS worries as I have very regular periods. However, months later I’m still really concerned about PCOS but as my periods are still like clockwork I’m worried the doctors won’t do anything about it ? I’ve also started noticing hair in places it hasn’t been before , such as my feet and toes , just very recently. I’m not particularly overweight but it takes ALOT of healthy eating and exercising for me to stay a healthy weight! For example I had night out drinking and a takeaway this weekend and I’ve gained 4 pounds which will come off, but extremely slowly 🙄 Me and my partner have spoke about starting to try for a baby soon and I have this obsession and fear that I’m not going to be able to have kids. Should I be persistent and go back to the doctors and request a blood test even if they don’t suggest it?! (I have a fear of the doctors so would never go unless essential) Just to either ease my mind/ get the medication I need to help with the symptoms/ to conceive if I do have it?! 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

If you do have PCOS it will be hard to conceive and you have a very high chance of miscarriage. I was told if I ever wanted to become pregnant, going on metformin was the best way to do it and it helps prevent miscarriages. You need to ask for a hormone blood test to test your estrogen and androgen levels. Also it would be a good idea to get an insulin resistant blood test. Do you have anyone in your family who has insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes?
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. None of my family have  any kind of insulin resistance or diabetes, or not that I know of.  Also no one in my family has PCOS. Thanks for your advise I have booked an appointment with my doctor and am going to ask for blood tests. The doctors know I have struggled with my weight since being about 13 , weight gain was one of the reasons I came off the contraceptive pill.  
    • Posted

Good luck with everything, if PCOS is what is responsible for your weight gain, the best advice I can give which always works for me is, cut out sugar and alcohol and the weight will fall off. Also, switch from simple carbs to complex carbs.
  • Posted

Hi I’m 22 as well and understand all of your fears. It will never hurt to get blood work it can only help. Sometimes it’s good to get it even if you suspect nothing is wrong for peace of mind and to understand where your body is at.  Tell your doctor exactly that. Even if you don’t have PCOS it’s good to know these things about your body.

With your acne, for a lot of woman with PCOS creams do not work for their hormonal acne so that to me is a good sign since it’s working for you. Now with the hair growth, while that could mean higher testosterone levels it more than likely sounds like you’re just getting older. When we age different aspects of our bodies naturally change and hair is a big one. You may notice your hair is darkening, you may notice it thickening or thinning, you may notice hair in places that weren’t before and you may notice hair loss. It just happens to everyone! I think it’s an extremely positive sign that your periods are regular as that is the first sign for a lot of women that something is wrong. Try not to self diagnose yourself, it will only make you freak out.. trust me I know smile. However you should still get blood work and I will say that even if you do have PCOS I promise it is not the end of the world as many women have totally cured them selves through lifestyle changes and medical help. 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, you have made feel a little better and that I’m not alone in worrying about this! I have booked a doctors appointment and I am going to ask for a blood test so I can either put my mind at rest or start medication. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.