Help interpreting results?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just got bloodwork done. TSH = 2.38 (range 0.30-5.50) Free T3 = 5.8 (range 4.0-7.8) Free T4 = 17 (range 11-22) Ferritin = L11 (normal is >14)

I've had symptoms for quite a while, weight gain/unable to lose weight despite meticulous diet and exercise. (Female, 5'5 200lbs sad . Swimming, running, circuit training and hot yoga 4-5x per week and using myfitness pal as calorie tracker. Currently set at 1680 cal per day) Extreme hair loss- clumps coming out in the shower, weak/chipped fingernails. Fatigue, muscle aches (especially in my calves) difficulty falling asleep, brain fog, mild joint pain and being absolutely ravenous after dinner, even though I eat properly ever couple hours throughout the day. Doc says my thyroid is in normal range, but just to take an iron supplement for the low ferritin result. I took a thyroid supplement for 2 weeks before seeing the doc to get tested and it helped a lot especially with energy and appetite after dinner. Should I ignore the doc and keep taking the supplement or should I get a second opinion?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I would say always get a second opinion, never try to treat yourself,it can muddy the water when your trying to get a diagnosis, especially with supplements - they could be worsening things. See a 2nd or even 3rd doc,if they all agree then you can be sure
  • Posted

Hello Melanie:

My name is Shelly and I am a Nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease.

I just looked at your lab/blood work.  You do look good on paper, with most of your results.  However you could have normal TSH and other blood thyroid levels, but actually be ill with thyroid disease.

Hashimoto's can make it look normal on paper, so normally an Endocrinologist will order a TPOA test.  This is an antibodies test, and it will show if you have any autoimmune thyroid problem.

I had the symptoms you have back in 1987.  My hair fell out, fatigue, brain fog, etc...

Yes, you should keep taking the Thyroid supplement and ask your doctor about LEVOTHYROXINE, a replacement hormone. You can ask for a low starter dose of 25mcg.  Also ask for the TPOA blood test and a Thyroglobulin Antibody test. These are important to helping in the diagnosis of Hashimoto's. 

Please take the iron as we need our minerals in good shape.  Also ask to have a Vit D level done because many of us are low in that.

Regards,

Shelly

• Posted

Hi Shelly! Thanks so much for your reply! My TPOA came back as 8 (normal being <35) so i guess overall that makes me completely normal but i still have all these symptoms? ive heard the range that doctors use may be outdated. is that true? should i keep taking and doing what has worked anyways?

thanks again! so="" i="" guess="" overall="" that="" makes="" me="" completely="" normal="" but="" i="" still="" have="" all="" these="" symptoms?="" ive="" heard="" the="" range="" that="" doctors="" use="" may="" be="" outdated.="" is="" that="" true?="" should="" i="" keep="" taking="" and="" doing="" what="" has="" worked="" anyways?="" thanks="">

thanks again!>

• Posted

Hello Melanie:

Some doctors consider the TPOA level should  be close to zero.  Some doc's go by the ref. range you have. The TSH range is a bit outdated. The doc's like the TSH between 1.0-3.5 and you look on paper to be in the range.

That is why thyroid disease is a bit sneaky, because symptoms still show up and Hashimoto's is famous for that and it is difficult to prove when the blood looks good.

Keep doing what you are doing.  Keep your Vitamins and minerals in good shape and take a decent Women's vitamin  plus the iron.  Iron is so important as it carries oxygen around the body.  If you are low in iron you will have even more fatigue.

Iron may make your feces turn black and that is okay. If you want call the doctor up and ask for a low dose of Levothyroxine 25mcg (starter dose), however he may not want to because of your blood work.  Also important is to see if anyone in your family has thyroid problems since it can be passed on or skip a generation.

So keep doing what you are doing since it seems to be working on you.

Keep us posted on how you do and if anything changes.

Regards,

Shelly

• Posted

I have been on t3 and t4 I have lost most my hair, I am fog and metal forgetfull I am sleepy always weight gan and I have stop eating glotion and much more to get weght off nothing changing it help please
  • Posted

Hi Melanie

I was reading your comments and it sounds as if you only had your TPO  antibodies checked which were at 8.  I just wanted to let you know that you will also need your Tgab levels checked also.  You can be negative for one and positive for the other to confirm Hashimoto's.  My TPOA levels were 34 but my Tgab levels were 800 and was diagnosed with Hashimoto's and also hypothyroidism.  So if you only had the TPO tested you may want the Tgab tested also. It's a little less uncommon but very possible.  Good luck!

• Posted

Some ideas:

Is it possible that taking the thyroid supplement for 2 weeks before the test could have affected the results?

Also get vitamin B12 checked. Look up the symptoms of anaemia and vitamin B12 deficiency. Many of them are the same as for hypothyroidism.

A person needs their Ferritin level to be 70+ to be able to process thyroxine (T4) into T3 (the thyroid hormone the body uses), so it may be you are not converting the thyroxine your thyroid is producing.

So keep taking the iron tablets. A ferritin level of 11 is too low. I would also take a multivitamin that contains: the B vitamins, C, E, zinc, magnesium, potassium, selenium etc. Are you aware that vitamin C helps the absorption of iron and that calcium hinders it? Read the patient information leaflet as i think there are some others to take note of. Take the multivitamin 4 hours away from the iron tablets.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.