Help! Is this really still just anxiety???

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've posted on here a few times about some symptoms I've had over the past few months.  It all definelety started with anxiety as I thought a bump on my head was a brain tumor that I obsessed over for a month.  After a few doctors visits and a CT scan it was ruled out but then i started getting this horrible constant head pressure in my left temple that burned at times.  No pain meds could take it away and this lasted for 6 weeks. During that time I had a MRI, bloodwork, met neurologist, to rule out anything serious.

I then went to a chiropractor to help allievate what they said was a stress migraine.  He did a neck adjustment which gave my head pressure much relief for 4 days until my neck became sore.   I went back 5 days later and received a full body adjustment this time and then that night I began to feel this prickly/electric zaps all over my body anytime I moved.  It is like I can feel all the nerves in my body whenever I move the slighest.  It's not an excruciating pain but it is really uncomfortable and sporadic all over my body.  I've had some soreness in my neck, shoulder blade, and lower back but nothing super painful like a broken bone or pinched nerve. The only relief I'm getting from the prickly pain is lying completely still or sleeping.  But once I get up its like all the nerves in my body awake and I can feel them even with the slighest movement like just my arm.

Anyways, it has been 10 days since the adjustment and I'm still experiecing the same symptoms.  The weird zaps all over when I move have stayed pretty constant.  I've been to the ER who did a CT of my neck and some bloodwork but just called it parestesia. My dr put me on prednizone and muscle relaxers but they havent taken away the symtpoms.  Lately, my feet have felt like they are falling asleep as well when I've been up and walking.  I've also felt some numbess in my fingers but then if I pinch myself I can feel it.

So, my primary thinks its all anxiety at this point because I have all motor functions and strength still and am not in excruciating pain. I've also  met with another chiropractor who did xrays and said nothing is out of place and he didnt think one adjustment would cause these weird painful sensations all over.  

My question is can this really just all be anxiety?  I cant get myself to believe that this pain which happened directly after the adjustment is all anxiety and causing these physical symptoms.  I know anxiety has contributed to all this and I was skeptical and nervous during the adjustment which probably caused me to be tense and make it worse.  My nervous system must be in a very hyperactive state at this point but I'm concerned lately that since its not going away and my legs are feeling numb that something worse is going on.  Could a compressed or pinched nerve be causing the symptoms I'm describing all over and with my legs when walking?  

Any advice on what to do would be appreicated.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

It can def be just anxiety,I kinda am going through the same thing with severe dizziness and just feeling out of it and horrible but I went to every doctor possible and every test came back clear.anxiety is a horrific thing and can do some crazy things to your body,you will get through this
    • Posted

Yeah I know anxiety can do some crazy things I just can't convince myself this nerve pain is all from it since it started directly after the chiro although my head pressure is gone.  I'm just fearful that I have nerve damage from all this prickly and numbness I feel when I move that hasn't gone away

• Posted

Absolutely it can be anxiety, anxiety can give you every symptom of every illness imaginable. The mind is a very powerful thing. Maybe talking to your gp about a referral to Psychotherapy might be a good idea, they can help address the route cause of your health anxiety
    • Posted

Thanks for the response, yes anxiety is miserable. I'm just scared the chiropractor did something to compress the nerves in my spine causing this prickly feeling all over rather than what my dr thinks now is just anxiety

• Posted

Hi TJ5555

Anexity can do a lot of crazy things to your body, same with stress. I suffer with serve anxiety myself and I get dizzy and I sleep a lot when I'm not working or I over panic and say to myself in my head did I do this right and it gets me down to a point where I make myself ill.

Have you ever tried going to a service that helps with anexity and talking about it or a gp

Hope you get better soon

Kind regards

Jadie-Leigh

• Posted

Yes I've talked to my GP about anxiety before I went to the Chiropractor. I tried one med which made me sick but I'm taking some supplements through a holistic doctor for anxiety currently.

• Posted

Okay just a thought. Hopefully an answer will appear for you TJ5555 and it gets you better. I guess it just a waiting game now and wishing you all the best.

Sorry that I can't be of more help

• Posted

You have been thouroughly examined at this point. Very thouroughly. So you need to accept that. Saying that have you considered seeing an alternative doctor, holistic to see what they feel is going on. They have a lot of schooling as well some are even integrated meaning they are medical doctors who oursued alternative meds or use both to compliment each other. Might work out better for you. They address anxiety as well and it can be done  via natural methods. Just a thought. 
    • Posted

Yeah, I'm definetely trying to address the anxiety right now but I'm just worried something is wrong with my spine causing this nerve pain all over that wont go away...

• Posted

Can a pinched nerve or compression in the spine cause the feelings im having? 
  • Posted

Yes, being tense will make you sore. You need to go back and let him ajust you again, and see if  the soreness  goes away. With my anxiety, and panic I had head zaps too. Hate that,so freaky. I think I told you this before,that you have a tension headache that will not go away. I had one for 8yrs,24/7 thought my head would burst. God awful. I wanted the good lord to take me. I ask my GP to change the med I was on, and she put me on 60ngCymbalta, and for my tension headache,and migrains 20mg amitriptyline. My tension headache,anxiety, and panic went away in a week. That was 9yrs. ago, thank you god. This is so scary to live with this, I remember like it was yesterday. If any of this terrible stuff comes back at anytime, I will run to my doc,and change meds. I never want to live with this again. My heart breaks for all who suffer with this terrible thing.
  • Posted

Hello TJ

Anxiety can show in many differnt ways, so to be able to acknowledge that should help you control all thes symptoms

On thing can can produce most of your problems is POSTURE. If you are sitting in a crumpled heap on the settee or walking with your head down this can cause you problems as well and You can suffer pain and numbness as you are restricting the nerves in your neck and spine.So I would advise you look at the ways that you are sitting, walking and resting in bed.

Somtimes some medications will cause headaches. Headaches can also be caused by eye strain so sometimes it may be a good idea to get your eyes tested as eyestrain can effect the head.

There are many things that can cause pain, that is not Anxiety so it is a good idea to look at the stress your are causing to your joints and nerves.

You can get books on posture and how to hold your body line.

Give it a look

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.