Help! Ive recently been diagnosed with DD

Posted , 4 users are following.

for months i suffered with a heavy feeling on my left side, i had bloods and urine tests which came back as ok apart from mild inflammation.i recently had a flexible sigmoidoscopy which showed the diverticultis disease and many pockets....i do suffer from anxiety generally but especially regarding my health....not long after the diagnosis the heavy feeling went away and i thought that was that but over the last 6 days i have been suffering from tummy ache, went to the gp who has given me peppermint tablets to take before eating and also a fibre drink as well and told to take pain killers to help, but i dont want to rely on all this medicine...ive got to stage that im hardly eating as scared it will make it all worse, i guess i just need some sort of reassurance that the tummy ache ive now got is common with this disease/condition before i go out of my mind!!!

Lou

x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lou,

im in a very similar situation, I was diagnosed 2 months ago and am just about getting the balance right.

I have chronic pain on my left lower side frequently, but im just getting my diet right.

I have high fibre cereal , salads soups fish chicken breast, lots of variety...but the main thing is high fibre and lots of water! I mean lots lol

Dont despair, it will settle down. I avoid whte bread, pizza, nuts seeds, I am just learning what suits me. It is a bit hit and miss but you will get there, keep a record of what you eat and it may help you realise the best food to avoid.

I hope this helps.

dawn x

• Posted

Reckon your GP has done well in recommending peppermint tablets.You could buy oil of peppermint products by Danish company Obbekjaers.I have used their capsules,tablets and the form that I am currently using...powder,for nearly thirty years.Good luck.
  • Posted

Thanks for the comments.......My ache/pain in my left side has now completely gone, it was replaced with a strong tummy ache for a couple of weeks and that to went away and i thought everything was back too normal. I was totally symptom free for quite a few weeks or so then 2 weeks ago i started to get a bad taste in my mouth which i still have and last few days feel really bloated and last night felt nauseous....is this normal with this condition? all these different symptoms really freak me out, i constantly fret that i have something very sinister and then the anxiety makes it all worse!! my doctor just fobs me off with diet and fibre sheets but doesnt seem very clued up on the condition and its various symptoms...i know from my past that as soon as i get reassurance symptoms tend to disappear. any help or reassurance would be appreciated as im getting more and more worked up!!

Lou

x

• Posted

A good organic plant-based diet with foods which will not create gas and will move through you at a quick rate whilst still allowing your body to absorb essential nutrients.Look into organic wild oregano oil,you probably only need one drop daily .It will help kill any nasties you have(it keeps my mother`s H-Pylori at bay....mastic gum works too).Look into good probiotics,eg Kefir etc.Regular exercise,learn deep breathing exercises,good quality water.What do you reckon?smile
  • Posted

I am in a flare at the mo and I am on antibiotics but when I get lots of trapped wind I drink mint tea ,

Cut down on the amount you at at a meal little and often I take fibre Jel every day and no nuts or seeds and keep a diary then you will know what sets the pain off any bleeding go straight to A and E xcarol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.