Help! Lightheaded and dizzy...is it all in my head?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Good Evening Ladies,

I feel like I am going crazy.  I have suffered headaches, hot-flashes, and night sweats.  They have been kept under control for the past two years through a supplement that I have been taking.  But, a new symptom has reared it's ugly head.  Terrible dizzy spells and lightheadedness; feeling like I am going to faint when a hot flash occurs.  One episode happened while I was driving (I seriously thought I was having a stroke) and the other was today at work.  It was so bad at work I had to have my hubby come and get me.  I did not feel like I could drive. 

I have been to the doctor and as they said they have ruled out the baddies, heart, stroke, etc.  Now I am having blood work done on Tuesday.

None of my friends have experienced this in peri-menopause so I feel like I am crazy.  Is this all in my head or have any of you suffered this too?  I am at my wits end, I am afraid to drive, because of these episodes. 

If you have been through this, how did you cope if you had to work?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I have a girlfriend who is suffering these same symptoms.  I’m sorry, help you can get some help. 
  • Posted

I also have the dizziness /lightheaded feeling I suffered it a week and went to the Drs I couldn’t drive so had to get members of my family to run me places , the Dr diagnosed an inner ear infection , I have no pain or headache really , I do have like pressure and tension feeling in my head . I really don’t believe it is that I just think it’s another symptom of the menopause

I will fight another day . 💕

• Posted

Oh geez.  You too?  I had thought maybe I had an ear infection causing Vertigo, but it was ruled out at the doctors.  I was honestly hoping that was it.  This is really terrible and frightening.  I am hoping that you can get an anti-biotic and that symptom for you will pass.  I do not wish this on anyone.sad
  • Posted

Hi karen, sounds like vertigo which is very common no matter what stage of meno you are in. There are pills that you can get to treat it so see your dr asap! Hope you feel better soon XXX
  • Posted

Hi Karen, I too go through this!!! I have most of the 66 symptoms but this one drives me insane!!! I was just on holidays and the the worst dizzy spell and then the dreaded fear sets in. It’s just the worst. It seems to help to drink a TON of water. When I’m dehydrated it seems to occur. It’s hard to gauge it in the cycle because I’m 10 years in of a hysterectomy so I don’t have a cycle any more. I’m very much up on my research of what we are going thru and follow a regime of supplements as well but it’s still scary as hell!!! Hang in there, keep following up on here. Your totally ok, it’s just this horrible side effect that we have to ride out!!
    • Posted

Thank you for your words of encouragement.  I think that the worst part is, once I feel the lightheadedness coming on, I begin to panic a bit, which makes it worse.  I am in complete dread all day of the dizzy spell coming.  It makes functioning at work and driving very difficult.  I am hoping once I have my blood work done, there will be more answers.  I am nowhere close to being done with this though.  As I still bleed quite heavily, every couple of months.  Do you have any idea if that is normal as well?

Thank you all so much for being a shoulder.

• Posted

Yep! I am feeling everytyhing you've listed...I could've written your post!

When my peri began I had the dizzies like crazy, and about 64 of the other symptoms on the list of 66....thought it was stroke but got checked. But the fear nearly paralyzed me .couldn't drive...stopped going out and didn't want to be alone. I went into a depression for that entire summer. But realized one day that i wasnt living...I was just alive. And I was missing the fun of my first grandchild.

Then I got mad. I fought my way back from fear...talked to my self a lot to reassure my self..." doc ran tests , saw nothing bad...stop doing body checks...pray for it to stop...pray for strength to forget it...stay busy.." Ever

Thank God everything is still fine ...mostly. I just roll with it knowing I've been checked out thoroughly. You are fine, I promise. And you are not crazy. Hugs

• Posted

So happy to read this over again!! My dizziness and off balance has been aweful this past few weeks. I’m a hairstylist and I swear I felt like I was going to fall over my client!!! I’m a very upbeat positive thinking person but I have to say, this is very wearing!! We’ve had an aweful winter and I haven’t been out walking like I normally would be and I think that is not helping me. Getting to caught up in my head and questioning everything!! I’m trying different supplements and oils but nothing seems to be helping. I’m about 10 years since my hysterectomy but I still have a cycle of hormone symptoms, whether it be moodiness or any other of the 66 symptoms. I know i must be in a bad one right now because im hotflashing and sweating like crazy!!! I’m breaking out in acne at  the back of my hairline, the roof of my mouth swells, eyes, nose and mouth are dry. I keep trying to tell myself these symptoms and the dizziness are all part of it and DONT buy into The FEAR!!! Damn hard some days!!! I have high blood pressure and my mom died from heart and stroke at a young age so this freaks me out so bad!! 
    • Posted

Thank you, I needed that.cheesygrin  I am feeling down about all of it, but I pray too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.