Help making a decision

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, I have been diagnosed with a rectocele.   I am going to have surgery to fix it. The doctor said my bladder may need tied up too, but she didn’t think so.  She will determine that when she gets in there. She said my uterus was intack. I told her I wanted my uterus out at the same time. Now I am wondering if I should leave the uterus alone and not remove it. I am 55 and have went through menopause. Can anyone advise me on this???? 

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Don't take uterus out if it's not causing any problems. If you do then you may end up with all sorts of other problems. Just because you are having pelvic floor repair, it doesn't mean add in extra things just cause you're going to be in theatre. 

• Posted

It just scares me because of possibility of future problems with it. I just don’t know many women that still have their uterus’. Ugh! 😪

• Posted

There's very little reason to believe you will have problems in the future. It's just not correct to remove anything unless very clear medical indications warranting it. Gone are the days of girls just having it out without very good reason to. Because it's now discovered after that over kill that lots have developed way worse life long problems from it being gone. 

• Posted

I agree with the previous reply. Having the uterus removed is a major job and takes longer to recover from. I had mine removed at the same time as a bladder repair but only because he said it would prolapse once the bladder was fixed. Don’t do any more than necessary, especially if you’re post menopausal and not having problems. 

Good luck with it all. 

• Posted

Dear Jaquetta, don't take out your uterus. No uterus means that there will be a hole tending to be filled in with adjacent organs such as intestines and rectum and a gap there could lead to an anterocele in the future. Hugs!!!!

• Posted

I would also thinks there's a level of medical negligence to just remove it for nothing. I don't think I would be able to find a surgeon in my country that would take it out just because they will be operating nearby

• Posted

Hi, like the other comments I also think you shouldn't have a hysterectomy unless you need one. However, I'd add a caveat to that which is to check you really don't have anything wrong... often uterine prolapse accompanies other forms of prolapse. I recently had a hysterectomy and front/anterior repair for a bladder prolapse. I was told I had a posterior/bowel prolapse too and that it would be fixed at the same time. Unfortunately the surgeon didn't fix the posterior and my small intestines have now descended into the space where my uterus used to be - it's called an enterocele. I have also developed a rectocele with that. I am completely gutted to be back to square one after having this major surgery. So, double check what you need and get it all done but don't have your uterus removed unless that is necessary as your small intestine/bowel can fall into the space left behind and I assure you it is horrible!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.