Help me 😥

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi i am positive that something is not right with my iron levels but I've just had my blood tests back and apparently my iron is at 26, is this good or bad?? I'm really confused and a little perplexed that my doctors won't talk to me till next week!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi 

well your iron or ferritin level should be between 30 and 200 so u are slightly below normal. But you need to ask the doctor what your hb is as this is your red blood cell count . Your hb is what affects how your blood carries oxygen . Also ask if your red blood cells are forming healthily when your ferritin is low for a long time they can form smaller and paler than they should or larger . This affects there ability to carry oxygen. So although your iron isn’t terribly low if u have been like it a long time it may of affected the quality of your blood cells. Also get your vit b12 checked .. 

but to calm you many of us on this site have had ferritn / iron as low as 8 and hb as low as 8 or 9 and after taking iron on prepscription after 4 to 5 weeks have felt improvement . At this level your heart races when u r lying in bed as if u r running . You get palpitations. You struggle to climb stairs . Your taste is affected . You feel very very tired and have to sleep in the afternoons .. all these symptoms improve on iron tablets or iron infusions . 

If your doctor was very worried he would of seen you immediately. 

While you are waiting eat liver if u can it’s the richest source of iron.. beef is good too .. apricots walnuts dark chocolate broccoli etc .. but to build your iron up the doctors prepscription iron is faster . 

Hope that helps to ease your fears 

sally 

• Posted

Hi Carla, I am sorry but I'm not really qualified to interpute your numbers. You may want to give your Dr. a call or send him an email.

• Posted

Thanks but like I said my doctors won't talk to me till next week

• Posted

Hi Carla

Your results should have a range next to them usually in brackets. If it is higher or lower it is usually flagged. Different countries have different units and corresponding ranges. If you can post your full results it will help ascertain whether your results have the potential to infer anaemia. Or even iron deficiency anaemia which some doctors ignore. 

• Posted

Hi Carla have you checked your hemoglobin and ferritin levels? If the levels are low, you doctor might want you to take iron tabs to increase your level. The lowest hemoglobin level I had was 6.6 and ferritin 3.9. I took iron tabs for few years under different doctors. But what really changed my level was iron infusion I received in May this year after being hospitalized twice in April and May. I was referred to a hematologist and was given proper treatment plan. Ask your doctor about it and find the cause of your anemia- treating iron deficiency is just treating a symptom- hope you will find out what is causing your anemia. Good luck!
  • Posted

Hi, depends, if the 26 is haemoglobin level or ferritin iron store, 26 haemoglobin would be way to high, range about 12 to 15 female, 26 ferritin level measure of the iron store, would just be within the low side of the range, range about 15 to 150 for a female.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.