Help me choose a surgeon for Gallbladder removal

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone, I found out a few weeks ago that my gallbladder needs to be removed because it is only functing at 12%, but I have no stones. I have made my choices down to two surgeons, but can not pick, because there are reasons I do and do not want to pick either one of them. So I'm hoping some of you all can give me your opinions after I give you my reasons.

Surgeon 1:

Has 20 + years of experience and I have heard good things about him from several people. BUT the hospital he does surgery at is a small town local hospital, which I worry about because I feel like it's not up to date with the newest stuff and less doctors and nurses that might know what they are doing if something happen to me during surgery. This is a place where I would not want to be if something major happen. 

Surgeon 2: 

He works at a bigger hospital that I would feel safer at if something went wrong. And he did my cousins surgery a few months back and she is ok. BUT he is young with only close to two years experience with surgery and this scares me, because I feel like experience is important and I don't know much about him (besides what my cousin says).

I've have been putting this off because I can't decide, which risk I'll take because like I said there are negatives to both, well I feel anyway. But just incase anyone wants to know I am a 30 year old female and I have only been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and vitamin D deficiency. But one thing I'm worried about is my heart rate, it's been running up a lot at night at bed time since I got sick and I'm not sure if it's the anxiety I've been getting cause of my gallbladder or what I did have an EKG done and the doctor never said anything about it so I assumed the results where ok.  

Anyway any advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated. 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I forgot to mention that the heart can race from aniexty which you have!  I had the same &  when I calmed down it stopped?!  I had an EKG many times so I guess that's all you can do!?  Stress & worry makes all symptoms worse as I've been told by many doctors.   It seems like the stomach & digestion is the most trouble for everyone & doctors don't really know what is it!?  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.