HELP ME 😭😭😭hearing loss/ anxiety/strep throat/ erythromycin

Posted , 4 users are following.

okay so ive made a few posts about this antibiotic for strep throat.. this is by far the most worrying. So i have been on erythromycin for about 2-3 days now. lastnight i was experiencing sensitivity to light aswell as sound. to the point it annoyed me for anyone to even talk. i was also experiencing shooting pains in the ride side of my head . well i woke up this morning with hearing loss in my right ear, when i tried laying on my left side i got pain in my right ear. (i also just blew my nose and i think i have a sinus infection due to the green snot.. when i blew my nose my ear popped and its now all echoey and it really hurt). im scared this could be hearing loss or infection due to the antibiotics as in rare cases this med can cause middle ear infection. the doctors isnt open until tomorrow and im not sure if i should continue the med or not 

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Oh Stephanie you poor lady. Do you think the strep infection could have spread into ear? If you can't access your doctor why don't you call your pharmacy and pose these concerns to them. Sometimes they can really help. Good luck and keep us posted.

• Posted

I think you are without reason connecting two different things. I understand you are anxious... but what you are talking about might be simple common cold or may be a temporary reaction. And don't try to blow or stress too much on your nose. It can become more uncomfortable.

Antibiotics should not be discontinued in my opinion.

"as in rare cases this med can cause middle ear infection"

This is what happens when you hear a lot of suggestion on internet. You are not yet sure, and have got anxious and nervous with some incomplete information you have collected.

• Posted

Hi stephanie20

Do not discontinue the AB's. ....the ear pain may be associated to your strep throat. If the infection has spread to your ear and sinus you most definitely must continue with the AB's...if you are worried call out of hours surgery or wait to speak with your doctor tmoro..the infection will be under control by continuing to take the AB's.....

• Posted

thanks everyone for the comments. i went to the hospial where they gave back my swab results .. it tested negative for strep. so now im just at a loss. i do have a bit of a sinus infection and she told me i have fluid in my middle ear but no sign of infection. she told me its up to me whether i continue the antibiotics or stop them. she told me i likely have a virus or mono.. which neither can be cured with antibiotics . she did say that they COULD help with my sinus infection but that too does not need antibiotics . my confusion is that my tonsils looked the worst i have ever seen them and still do.. i had whitish yellow spots all over them that started going away after taking the antibiotics . whether this was just coincidental or if it was from meds idk.. if its the meds causing the spots to go away then its clearly not viral. i will be making an appt with my doc tomorrow anyways .

• Posted

What is the name of the test you got in the hospital? It was just a swab test or any particular name?

• Posted

Hi stephanie

Perhaps the test showed -ve rather than +ve because you have been taking AB's for sometime and the bacteria is clearing. As she said it's up to you to continuing taking the AB's i would continue and take the whole course just incase the bacteria reforms...👍😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.