Help medication changed what can i expect

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I previously asked what should I say to Dr. Well just returned from seeing him and (not at my request) he has decidrd to take me off mirtazapine 15 MG's which I have taken for 8 weeks now and prescribed Venlafaxine 75 MG's because of the increase in side effects, I have suffered with swelling to feet and legs as soon as I started on mirt then in last 4 weeks I have suffered with muscle ache and tingling sensation yo fingers.

What I am asking is what effects may occur switching medication. I have heard some people have terrible withdrawals from the mirt. I cannot reduce the mitt as I don't have any tablets left. I am unsure what time to take the Venlafaxine. I am under no illusions that everything will go smoothly (although I can live in hope), 

Advice will be greatly received. I have to see him again in 4 weeks.( Oh that will be Christmas !!!!)

I do not have a psychiatrist.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Everyone is different, some have no ill side effects, others suffer the whole list.

I am on venlafixine and found it a very easy drug to start up on, and 15mg of mirt is not too high so should be easy enough to come off. 

Here's hoping you should have no real issues

• Posted

Thanks I will keep fingers crossed. What time do you take Venlafixine. When started on fluoxetine i was told to take it in the morning. When changed to Mirt take at night but when i asked about Venlafixine i was told anytime that suites me. not really sure what will be the best l know to take it after meals.
    • Posted

my is the xl version (longer release), i take it in the morning as it has no sedative effect
    • Posted

Thanks I will start to take it in the morning I am on the prolonged release. 
  • Posted

Hi, regarding the Venlafaxine, take it in the morning after or with some food.  It breaks down in the stomach and if you haven't eaten, your stomach acid will absorb it so less of it gets into your system.  Also, it can be quite stimulating so the morning is better if this happens to you.  I wish you he very best with it. Take care
    • Posted

Thanks I will start that tomorrow. Took it teatime yesterday and mid afternoon today.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.