HELP...Metalwork/Hardware problems after Ankle Fusion

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice as I’m getting a bit concerned!

Had my left ankle fusion on the 17th May of this year and all has been pretty uncomplicated so far.

Last week I notice a tiny lump just above the inner aspect of my ankle bone. This week it is much more obvious and I’m worries about the metal work in my ankle!

It also gives me a weird kind of dull/throbbing ache at the site of what I think is the top of a screw. I have pretty skinny ankles so I’m not sure if that’s why it is obvious though.

I’ve had lots of ops on my ankle, 7 in total and I do have metal work in my heel which I’ve never had a problem with.

I have no follow up out patients appointment (OPA) with my consultant until the end of next month.

I see my Physio tomorrow so I was going to ask her opinion and then see if I need to get my OPA moved forward.

My question is...anyone else had a similar thing? If so what was the out come?

I was all ready for slowly going back to work next month but I’m worried now that this may set me back again. 

Thanks for reading if you have got this far! ☺️

Claire. Xx

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Claire,

Sorry to hear you have an issue but I would be tempted to call the surgeon's clinic to check it out mainly because you say it has become more prominent during a week.  Have you got pictures of your x-rays to check if there is some metalwork in that spot?  With all the work you've had done, just when you thought it was all getting better you must be thinking "why me?".  

I hope it it turns out to be nothing and you continue to full recovery.

Andy

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I’ve spoken to my consultants secretary this morning and they are sorting out an urgent appointment to see him. Hoping it’s as soon as possible now! 

Claire. Xx

• Posted

Hi Claire, I’m sorry you are having this set back! Definitely call your surgeon! I too have a plate and 6 screws in my rt ankle and it’s been 27 weeks since surgery and bothers me quite a bit. It causes pain and limits my range of motion. My surgeon suggested taking the hardware out after the first of the year if it’s still bothersome. I too have skinny ankles so I can see & feel the plate especially. I’ve read about screws breaking inside the body or them moving and pushing outward so this is why I’d get it checked out. They’ll be able to tell with an X-ray probably. I’m all for removing this crap! It doesn’t belong in the body, it can cause arthritis issues down the road and the hardware can break . Obviously I’d only do it if it’s going to benefit me. Good luck with it all!! Please stay positive and try not to worry! You are walking, you are healthy and this too will end up being just a small moment in your life. Many blessings to you and a full recovery! 🙏🏼😇💕

• Posted

Thank you so much for you kind words, they mean so much! 

I’ve spoken to the Physio who asked me what I thought it was...I’m a ward sister on a trauma unit so I have a little bit of knowledge. When I said a screw she sort of awkwardly nodded to me a ‘yep that’s right’. 

I’ve spoken to my Consultants secretary and she is going to book me an urgent appointment to see him.

Just feel a bit deflated at the minute as with the screw being in the position that it is it feels like the old ankle pain; which kind of sucks. 

But I’m itching to get back to work and as I’ll be doing paperwork in the office and only one shift on the ward I think my ankle, hopefully should be fine. 

Thanks again. 

Claire. Xx

• Posted

Hi Claire,

I too have very skinny ankles & I'm having screw related problems. I feel it rubbing every time I flex my foot or stand. I'm 100% sure it's the screws rubbing on my ankle bones & it's keeping it in an irritated state all the time. I go for x-rays on Nov 8th & to see the Surgeon so I'm hoping that will show on the x-ray. I'm also hoping they don't make me wait a year as it will be a long year not being able to walk. I find the pain very intense. Like you, it almost feels like the old pain but I know it's not. Keep us updated on what your Surgeon says & if they will be removed. Try not to worry. It will be okay. It's a temporary setback only. I think you can weight bear right away when the screws come out. It's just the waiting for the incision to heal over. Good luck Claire.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.