Help!Minimally invasive laminotomy and franomity in 2 days

Posted , 6 users are following.

Please Help!I am a 43 year old guy who is in good shape and healthy.4 years ago I herniated a disc in my lower back and was off my feet for 2 months.I recovered with no surgery and was feeling great for 2 years or so.6 months ago I had a hard moto Ross crash and hurt my back again.Lots of pain but recovered pretty well.About 3 months ago I herniated my back again pretty bad.Had an mri and the doc said I am herniated on two levels.My main symptoms were bad hip pain and pain in my thigh and calf.It stayed that way for two months.I went to the surgeon and he scheduled my surgery.Here I am 2 days before surgery and scared to death to do it.I barely have any pain anymore and it is only in my hip.I do heavy Co structure and workout everyday and hike.I gave my wife a piggy back ride last night just to test my back and no pain.Even tried to deadlifted and no pain.All I have is mild cramps feeling 8n my hip and not even all.the time.Should I do the surgery..Please help..Thanks

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi brandon

i would continue with the surgery,it may feel ok at the moment but it's only a question of time and u would be back again waiting.

i know what it's like to b on the other side,I originally worked on spinal and trauma and orthopaedic ward, and blew 2 neck discs 2 years ago,nobody more petrified than me!!

• Posted

My surgeon made the call to cancel.I guess the surgery is really for the pain and won't prevent further ruptures. Being almost pain free and fully active he said to see how it goes.Worse case if it starts getting bad again reschedule.Really confused but happy no surgery right now
    • Posted

Hi Brandon, For what it's worth I think between you and your surgeon you made exactly the right decision. If thing get bad, well the option is always there to try the operation. Stay fit and well and all the very best. Graham
    • Posted

Thank you.I think I am happy with the decision.Thank you for the support.
    • Posted

That's good!! I agree... As I stated before, don't do it unless you are in real bad shape. I wish that I would have waited.. Good luck !
  • Posted

Hi Brandon,

Have you only went to the one surgeon? It sounds like you aren't in that much pain and it sounds like you don't even take any pain medication? Surgery is a huge step! I definately would hold off on your surgery and go see another reputable surgeon (neuro surgeon would be my own personal preferance) in your area for a second opinion. Have you tried other options such as physical therapy? Steroid injections?  

Julie

• Posted

I apologize, I responded to you from my email and did not see all of these other replies. I am glad you are holding off on your surgery! Best wishes!
    • Posted

Thank you.Also I did try meds and shots before.No luck from the shots and I am pretty boring...don't drink,smoke,drink coffee,or soda.Don't really want to use pain meds.I am hoping I can continue without surgery.Everyone on here has been great.Thanks again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.