Help ,Moderate COPD, stage 2 results? fev1 56%

Posted , 14 users are following.

I am very worried about my future. Have been told I have COPD stage 2 and the tests show fev1 56% ? I have tried to look up these results and think I may be nearer severe COPD? Im 58, ex smoker, was prescribed an inhaler last year following a bad chest infection but have never felt I needed to use it afterwards. I am slim, good diet and have been fairly active all my life (less active since last October after having a minor heart attack out of the blue, just meds for this). I have started excercise again. I am worried and would like to know how rapidly COPD progresses or what I can expect/ how long before I deteriorate and at what rate. At present I only get out of breath with excercise i.e. steep hills, steep steps. Do not use inhalers only if I get a chest infection (been once per year up to yet despite vacinations). Should I be using the blue inhaler regularly even if I dont feel breathless? The information available is very 'general' and just mentions individual stages, nothing re what is the average time from one stage to another. I would like ANY advise to halt/ hold back or improve my COPD deterioration. Thanks

3 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You are lucky you have no symptoms.

The progression burns out if you look after yourself. I think everyone gets out of breath on steep hills. SOB is subjective.

Blue inhaler is for when you are SOB. It might be worthwhile seeing if you feel better in Symbicort or Seretide / Advair.

• Posted

What do you mean by the progression of the disease burning itself out?  I doesn't you know, we can only slow it down, in some cases even for decades,  but it will get us in the end.  COPD doesn't burn itself out!
    • Posted

Do you think I made up the part re burning out. It's been referenced many times in studies. The progression can revert to a similar level as normal decline. See this for example.

"In conclusion, our data show that COPD is not invariably progressive. In more than half the patients in our study, the rate of decline in FEV1 over a period of 3 years was no greater than that which has been observed in people without lung disease. This finding could indicate that COPD may “burn out” or at least stabilize for periods of 3 years or more, which would be good news for patients and could influence a variety of management decisions that depend on prognosis. The continuation of smoking is strongly associated with an increased rate of decline in FEV1"

• Posted

No I didn't think you were making anything up!  

I know from personal experience that COPD can stabilise, because I have the same lung function percentage as when first diagnosed 3 years ago, but that doesn't mean it's "burnt out", nor that it's "reverted" to anything like normal after more than 40 years of smoking.    I've either been very lucky or the stabilisation has resulted from rehab, exercises, breathing techniques, medication and staying away from air borne pollution as much as possible.

The reason I object to the term "burnt out" is that it implies the COPD has gone and I don't believe that's possible, nor do I believe false hopes are helpful, particularly as most of us with COPD have already spent years in denial of the harm nicotine was doing to our bodies.  

I know and know of far too many people, both on this forum and in my personal life, who fool themselves about their "smoker's cough" and general breathlessness, in some cases continuing to smoke and in others not seeking treatment until the condition is well advanced. 

Thanks for the quotation, which gives hope of stabilisation & inspires me to continue my present regime, but I can't accept that COPD ever burns itself out.

• Posted

That's very interesting and encouraging ck101. In my first (and so far only) consultation with a pulmonolagist, he said I've probably had my mild emphysema since stopping smoking 15 years ago and that in all likelihood it will not get worse. What is more problematic he explained is my persistent adult onset asthma. He was very reassuring that with good nutrition and eno ugh exercise I needn't worry about the emphysema.
    • Posted

Could you let us know how/where this data came from. Sounds very encouraging, something hopefull for a change!
    • Posted

Jude,

Accept and believe what you want.

The report I refer to is written by a Pulmonary physician and is likely peer group reviewed.

If I had a choice of getting into a debate with you over what I've posted or accepting what this paper states I'd choose the latter.

Sorry to be blunt but you are a little hostile.

Ck.

• Posted

I wasn't being hostile or looking for a debate, merely seeking more information for the sake of clarity.   

Settle down, I did thank you for the information, that doesn't mean I have to accept it without question.

• Posted

Ck101, you can be a little blunt sometimes...remember on the 'confusion' posting forum, and how you bluntly replied to my response, regarding what I typed about, asthma versus emphysema? You were a little harsh with me too...lol! I don't bother correcting other people's posting's response's, because I don't care to start this kind of 'correction' thing (atmosphere) among all the forum's members. As for me, my doctor said at first that I had Asthma (but in severe stage), but then changed his opinion to Emphysema...now he has retired, one year after my diagnosis, my new Dr says that she thinks I am too young for the severity of emphysema (severe or very severe stage-bordering, 37% fev1), and she is now in the process of testing me for Asthma (with low end severe stage, 37% fev1), or, some kind of Institual lung disease (37% fev1). But, I didn't want to express all the confusion of my condition, so just took the risk to express what a very friendly Respiratory nurse said to me about the difference between emphysema versus asthma. I guess I believed it, or else I wouldn't have put it on this forum,...he, he! But that was why I posted it, and would be nice if we could post without all the criticism going on in here. 
  • Posted

Hello, I am 47 and I have stage 3, never smoked in my life, but my mum was a heavy smoker, I've had bad chest infections from a early age, most of them pretty bad, that took upto 8 weeks of antibiotics before I get right. The worst thing you can do is worry, I'll hold my hand up I've worried about going to the copd test and to be told am in stage 4, I know it's hard to not to worry but I try and relax before those test as well as after, I have inhalers that I've gone way past the dosage level, Drs know there's no other inhaler better for me at the moment. The internet can be a good thing for information, but it can make your life worse, I look at the different storys and take them with a pinch of salt, I find than keep worring about it, best to see the Dr, if I went into stage for it doesnt mean my life is over. I think the biggest problem you have is worring what the worse might happen, my advise is try and do things to relax. If I went into stage 4 tomorrow I think to myself no point worring about it that's only going to make me worse off thsn ever, I could be worrying for nothing for years to come.
  • Posted

you have only mild- to moderat  copd with that reading chris my reading is only fev1  28% very server but i still can clime stairs and get about the more excercies you do the better life will be i went to a gym for a good few years i was only 47 when i was told i had emyphrsema copd i am now 69 dont think about what you have because you will find it makes you worse blank it out thats what i do and get on with it ask you copd team about going to the reabilatation classes you will love it i do but it only lasts six weeks but i joined a gym after that so give it a go chris and good luck    

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.