Help my husband needs to detox and we cant afford it

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello,

My husband has had a drinking problem for about 3 years now. He detoxed a few months ago then found out his father is dying and he fell off the wagon. He has been drinking every day about 10 - 15 pints a day to the point where if he stops drinking he gets the shakes and vomits. He wants to stop as hes about to lose his job, the problem is he cant afford to pay 900 GBP to detox again. The NHS is useless they do not care, they sent him to detox in a place that will not take him in until 2 months!! He needs to detox now. He is considering taking Nytol to detox and just sleeping for a week, will this work? What options does he have? We are completely broke and need help asap. I appreciate any advice, thank you!

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear about the difficult time your husband is going through. Definitely listen to Joanna's advice. She is absolutely right. I have detoxed at home several times and its absolute hell! I don't wish it on anyone. Definitely lower the dose slowly, don't do it all of a sudden or his body can go into shock. Inevitably he will have unpleasant withdrawl symptoms, but on my personal experience while detoxing i drank lots of organic coconut water, light warm soups, took vitamin B and magnesium supplements. My life saver once I had stopped consuming alcohol but still in detox mode was taking Valium 10mg twice a day. Without Valium I don't think I could have pulled through. After the detox he will most likely have anxiety as well as depression episodes, at least this has been my case after a big relapse. In this case i think its best as well as for the physical symptoms he takes time off from work. Everyone is different but it takes me about 10 days to 2 weeks to fully recover after a heavy drinking relapse, sometimes less if the relapse has been less severe. I hope this helps and wish him a good recovery.

• Posted

This is very helpful thank you! His last detox he did at home with valium and that worked the problem is the doctor charges 900 GBP for the at home detox. I dont know how else he can get valium without paying so much, the NHS isnt really helping its taking too long which is why I was hoping an emergency room visit will take him in right away. He does suffer from anxiety and the valium definitely helped ease his anxiety. Thanks again!

• Posted

I know how difficult it can be to get prescription medicines. Here in Spain I made an appointment with a Psychiatrist and he prescribed to me Selincro and Valium after I explained to him my drinking problem as well as my anxiety issues and detoxing at home. I don’t know how strict it is in the UK but here in Spain if one pays for a private consultation with a doctor (around 100 euros) you can pretty much get a prescription for what you need. As long as you “seem” responsible they don’t make such a fuss about prescribing medication. I know many doctors are apprehensive about prescribing Valium as it’s addictive, but I assure them it’s only for emergency situations. I can usually get 2 boxes every 3 months. Maybe you could look into booking a private consultation with your husband when he is a bit better and he can explain detoxing at home and I definitely recommend he tries Selincro, it has worked for me and I don’t have any relapses when I take it. I don’t recommend this, but I do have friends that have purchased prescription medication online, they haven’t had any bad experiences with this but it’s always risky if you don’t know the source. I’d try booking a private consultation with a doctor/psychiatrist and try to get a prescription this way. Hope this helps for the future. Xx

• Posted

Thank you for this. His last detox the nurse prescribed valium and I had to go to 3 different pharmacies because they didnt want to sell it to me even though I had a prescription. Im originally from the US but live in the UK, my friend in the US was able to go to rehab for 3 months for free straight away in NY. I was considering taking him to the US but I dont think he'll make the flight its a long flight and hes constantly ill I doubt they will even let him on the plane. Thank you for the advice!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.