HELP! My Sinuses Are Trying to Kill Me :(

Posted , 10 users are following.

(CW disgusting post / phlegm)

Hello All - 

I'm writing in a moment of despair, like many people here, since I really believe my sinuses are trying to drown me in my own phlegm whilst sleeping.

I live in a world where I constantly have to spit out post-nasal drip, and it drains into my back while laying down or sleeping. Sometimes it's been so bad, I've filled up a whole cup over the course of an hour just spitting into it, bit by bit.

I'd originally thought it was asthma, but after many visits to pulmonologists, ENTs, and allergists, we've concluded that mostly all this horrible phlegm is coming from the sinuses behind my nose. If I don't constantly spit it out, it drains down my back, slowly inhibiting my ability to breathe.

Last night, I went to bed feeling great, but this morning, I woke up and had to spend an hour coughing not-even-all of the accumulated crap out of my back and lungs, through a variety of breathing exercises and moving around to force air into different parts of my chest, back, and lungs.

After about 30 minutes, I unlocked some bigger pieces of phlegm - which usually happens during this process. Coughing them up almost causes me to throw up, but I feel a considerable improvement in breathing afterwards.

Today, after spending close to an hour in my bathroom just spewing stuff into my sink, I was able to breathe mostly-normally, as I slowly feel bits of phlegm fall down the top of my back from my sinuses.

The only alternative I have to this gross bathroom process is exercise, which effectively causes me to hock up all this phlegm on the streets. I exercise about 2h a day, and only after ~90 minutes do I get to the big pieces of phlegm that really affect my breathing.

But during the exercise, I have to be respiring heavily *and* I have to be projecting air out of my lungs (like by singing). Changes in my posture also unlock new layers of phlegm that I have to cough out.

I don't smoke. While I do enjoy vaping cannabis, I've taken a break from that to try to alleviate my symptoms. I haven't seen any reduction or correlation in my phlegm from vaping or not; only that it gets worse if I do it constantly (which I haven't done in a long time).

(*PLEASE NOTE* - while "vaping" isn't necessarily "the subject", it's vastly important to mention as a potential irritant and cause of my sinus issue. It is medically important info/context to disclose, despite anyone's personal objections)

Funny enough - I just went on a 10-day trip to Florida, after about a week, I cleared up and returned to NYC feeling great. After a couple days back, I'm back to square one.

I live in a relatively-new apartment building (from 2008). I have a hospital-quality air filter (IQ Air ProPlus) and an air quality monitor to ensure it's not my environment that's causing this issue.

The air quality monitor routinely has the particulates (PM10) in my apartment under 100, PM2.5 is close to zero.

Drugs I take - 

* Morning - 2 hits of Dulera 200/5, 2 sprays of Flonase, 2 sprays of Azelastine, 10mg Zyrtec (24h)

* Evening - 2 hits of Albuterol, 2 sprays of Flonase, 2 sprays of Azelastine

The only thing that really works is Mucinex-D, but I can't take that every day, and I'll build up a tolerance after a while.

What's going on??? I've been to so many doctors, I take so many drugs... I've made sure to sleep on an incline, I've cut out dairy, and I've stopped eating right before I go to bed.

Now I wake up hungry, nauseous, and still have the same exact amount of phlegm in my lungs when I wake up.

I don't really get reflux, though, if I spend a lot of time coughing while exercising, it does eventually start happening.

So, please, any help would be much appreciated. I've done all the low-hanging-fruit, I'm taking all the drugs I can, I've seen all the doctors I can, and really, nothing has helped.

Thanks! 

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That is the life of sinus disease sufferer .what have noticed is that doctors attempt to treat everyone the same and this particular ailment needs to be treated on a person to person basis. I too suffer the most upon waking up. The mucous is all over the place down my throat out my ears and the first few hours I feel blah until the drainage subsides. I too have been to many doctors taking a number of different drugs. On humid days the mucous feels even thicker. I have been living with this for about four years now. Your quality of life does take a hit. What does help on occasion is using a Neti pot to clear some of the built up mucous from my sinuses.

But as of yet I have not found anything that will give me consistent help

I could not help but I feel ur pain. I too live in NY

• Posted

This post is EXACTLY how I feel. I hate that others deal with this too, but there's some comfort knowing I'm not alone or going crazy. I live in NC. It's very hot and humid in the summer and I'm absolutely miserable. Doctor's tend to look at me like I'm crazy when I mention the humid weather making it worse. They say the humidity is good for the sinuses. I find that I feel the best and have the least amount of mucous in the dry winter seasons here.  

• Posted

For what I have read from many sources dryness and humidity can reek havoc on ur sinuses anything that can cause inflammation to the lining of the sinsus can cause a problem. It is the chronic inflammation that causes the back of the mucous. Then throw in allergies which I suffer from. This is why the problem continues year round. At least my ENT has given my condition a name: chronic rhinitis/sinusitis, although I am on my fourth ENT. Lol
    • Posted

I'm not entirely sure of "humidity" on its own wreaking havoc on sinuses - like I mentioned, I just got back from a trip to Florida where it's possibly the most humid part of the country right now... and my symptoms cleared up after a week.

I even smoked and ate dairy without much consequence. But sitting in my apartment in NYC next to my ridiculous air filter is killing me.

• Posted

U can read up on chronic sinsusitis/rhinitis and U will see that humidity can be a trigger for some. What Florida has to offer that New York does is the constant the sea water in the air .Salt water is the main ingredient used in a Neti pot which gives many some relief. Also there r salt cavesin the NY area where u can go and breath in fresh himalayan salt for some temporary relief. I had a friend who suffers u went to the DR and felt totally revived and returned to the states and bam back to the usually.

But like a said read up on it

• Posted

My friend went to the DR. The U was suppose to be And lol
    • Posted

I had the same diagnoses of chronic rhinitis. It's also worth mentioning I had a balloon sinuplasty (outpatient) surgery in the August 2015. It gave me a lot of relief for a couples months, but by late November I was struck right back down with it (I too was actually living in NYC at that time. I spent a lot of time in central park and doc told me it was likely fall allergies. I'm sure that added to things, but like you mentioned secondhand smoke, pollen, etc are basically unavoidable so it's frustrating) 

That's a great point about Florida salt air. I've also had that experience of getting relief when I travel to other states. I'd read online that some of that can be attributed to different allergens. Your body doesn't react to them right away so even going somewhere for a number of months you can be fine, but often eventually things will return. This is why they often say that relocating due to allergies isn't a great idea. Although, I'm convinced I'd feel incredible in southern cal. lol 

• Posted

Do you think it's something like the pollution in the air?

The latter part of my trip brought me to (even worse) inland Florida, with no sea breeze to moderate the drenching heat and humidity. But still, I improved.

The first few days were just as bad as they were here, but, I did slowly get better by the end.

• Posted

That's the problem with this ailment it could be anything. So thats why there is such a problem finding a consistent relief for so many. My ENT is chalking mine up to the environment which includes my allergies. Not that the diagnosis's has help with symptoms. Some have said the reason for the increase of people suffering with sinus issues is due to climate change Honestly yours could be from a number of things. So to answer ur question I really don't Know

• Posted

Ditto. It's so difficult because it truly can be anything (likely combination of many things.) Do either of you find added problems with barometric pressure? I've been keeping an eye on my symptoms and they are far worse when the pressure dips rapidly with a storm front. 

• Posted

Yes my time line is similar I started with this around 2013, I had no idea what was going on. I was allergy tested 2013 which revealed I had dust mite, cockroach and grass allergies. I had the ballon sinuplasty in 2014 which gave me no long term help although I was told that this can be done several times. So I may inquire about trying it again. I have two CT scans between 2013 and now, tried accupuncture and r currently taking allergy shots. I feel u when u say it is frustrating especially when I am doing every thing I can but getting completely away from all allergens especially the ones that I have is almost impossible.It is the day to day not knowing how I will feel.
    • Posted

Absolutely as u said there r so many things that can cause a flare up and in NY this year the weather was changing drastically from day to day some weeks which caused the barometric pressure to constantly be unstable.I forgot to mention that I also went to a neurologist because of the head aches over my right eye i some times suffer from during some of my flare ups.after he ran me through a number of test and reading my CT scan he placed the pain at this time back to the sinus disease.

The thing about this ailment is unless u r going through it you will have no idea. Trying to get people who do not suffer to understand is some times fruitless

• Posted

Welp, I just talked to my ENT to relate the details of my recent trip and "how much better I felt after a week away".

He said that my issue is most likely environmental, meaning that it probably *is* New York.

Keeping up with rent is hard enough, I really have no idea how to fix this issue outside of moving to a nowhere place outside of the Tri-State Area.

• Posted

I too live in NYC. But I've lived here for 20 years, and my post nasal drip problem only started about a year ago. It's progressively gotten worse - it's so frustrating. It affects my ability to talk (I always sound like I have a cold because of the buildup of post nasal drip in my throat), my ability to exercise at the gym (because I constantly have to clear my throat) and my ability to sleep. (I wake up every two hours). ... When I went to an ENT last December, he wanted to put some kind of stent in my nose. When I went to another ENT this week, he wanted to treat me for acid reflex even though I have no signs whatsoever of acid reflex. The drip is coming from nasal passage - I can feel it - not my stomach. .. I've tried all the standards sprays - rhinocort, Flosnase and zyrtec - and they don't work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

• Posted

I feel ur frustration because I have been suffering for about four years with this ailment. the though part is not knowing from day to day how I am going to feel. I would say go to a allergist and she what u r allergic too. They can do some allergy testing. Then from there u will know what u have to avoid although the things I am allergic too r every where. Then go back to the ENT and let him use a scope and go up into ur nose to see if there r any obstructions far up in ur nasal passage. U can start there as far as any relief I have no answers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.