Help. Mystery of why I continually pass out?

Posted , 6 users are following.

About two months ago I began fainting and losing consciousness.  It started happening about once or twice a week.  Then daily.  These past days it has happened multiple times.  One of my EKGs came back abnormal and I was diagnosed with postural orthostatic tachycardia, however no medication or treatment has been working and it is getting much worse.  I have no symptoms or warnings before I lose consciousness, I just feel dizzy and a few seconds later hit the ground.  I am getting more and more fearful everyday due to the fact that I live in a city and have lost concsiousness alone/have hit my head quite a few times.  All bloodwork, x'rays of chest, and MRI's and CT's of head have come back normal.

I am starting to think that doctors do not believe me, or are starting to normalize this.  I don't want to sound scared so I don't make a big deal, but I am becoming more and more scared.  Losing consciousness four times in one day shouldn't be normalized.  

I also am beginning to feel numbness and tingling in my legs and arms sometimes, and stiffness in my neck.  I am afraid this might just be stress induced?  

Has anyone had any similar issues and could help?  I am a scared uni student.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Wish I could offer helpful advice, not sure I can.  I did start passing out a lot myself (multiple times/week) but cardiac tests were normal and I was told it was vasovagal.  Similar to you it happened to me upon standing or within a few minutes of standing. I started taking Bach's rescue remedy and the fainting has stopped completely since that time.  I don't know if it works on heart issues same as vasovagal, but it helps reduce the impact of shock/trauma to the body (which standing up would be for you).  FWIW I also get tachycardia with chest pressure (could be neurological I'm told).  So perhaps if it helped me it can help you.  I do understand about feeling alone with it.  I was.  I just keep getting tossed from doctor to doctor and it is difficult to find anyone to help.  They just want to stick to the patients who match exactly what they learned in med school.  Hoping you start feeling better soon and that you can find a supportive dr.
    • Posted

I will definitley look into Bach's rescue remedy.  Thank you so much for your advice and support.  I am glad your fainting spells have stopped!
    • Posted

Thanks so much!  My spells haven't completely stopped but do get better when I take it when I get warning signs.  A friend of mine told me it could also be seizures.  Hadn't thought of that, but if happens all the time that could be it too.  I had problems sleeping due to health issues when this started, and my friend said when he missed sleeping for prolongued amounts of time he wound up with seizures.  When he got more rest the seizures disappeared.  So getting enough rest/relaxation might also help.  I hope you feel better and also find doctors who believe you.  I understand how scary it is to go through this alone (I haven't told my family for fear they will worry).  How have your fainting spells been lately?
  • Posted

Hi I have Autonomic Dysfunction, POTS is a form of that, it doesnt just cause fainting, it causes problems elsewhere in the body, as its our autonomic nervous system that has malfunctioned, mine causes problems with my sugar level, it can be high, then low, my heart can be fast then slow and thats why i go to pass out, i also have  slow dijestion due to blood pooling in my adbdomen and it not being able to squeeze my food through fast enough, so i bloat, and become constipated, it makes my low blood pressure worse, os i go to faint more then, it also causes chronic fatigue syndrome in me, so i have to pace and rest.

Things you can try are, drink at least 3 litres of water per day, drink a glass before you get up out of bed, you can try, copmpression socks in bed to help bring blood back up from your legs, which is why your passing out, you can also lift your bed head up by 6 inches to help with blood pressure, also if you dont have high blood pressure, be very liberaly with your salt on your food, as most of our symptoms come from low blood volume, and thats why you need to drink more water, and add salt, youri body with adjust and then you will be well, however, you will have triggers, and your symptoms will be back, time of the month can be a trigger, eating carbs can do it, stick to high protein, low unrefined carbs, and eat little and often, cut out all caffine including in chocolate, switch to decaf beverages and plain water, certain meds will trigger your symptoms, trauma, stress, and viral infections, hot baths, and hot weather, thats because i personally dont sweat so i over heat, doesnt happen to everyone but can be a symptom, gentle exercise better than overexertion, and swimming, or hydrotherapy of some sought helps a lot, quality of life can get worse with age, homeopathy helped me a lot, but you may find like i have, that some things work for a while then they just stop, thats because the body has adjusted, but mine has always come back, i was born with it, and im 57 now,  and  hope this helps.

• Posted

It was interesting to me when you talked about how things help and then stop working! UHG! I just couldn't understand why a medication would help me for a few weeks and suddenly just stop working, this has been going on for years and doctors would just give me a puzzled look! I was diagnosed with Dysautonomia a few days ago. It's nice to know there's someone else out there that knows what I'm going through. I was told to increase my water intake, I'm really trying!!! Does that help with your fatigue? I know it does but hoping it will make a big difference, wishful thinking, lol.

• Posted

Hi kelly

I was told by a dr, that when the medications stop working, that is because your body has normalised, so, you dont really need to take it anymore, so maybe you can then switch to lifestyle changes.  I get fatigue because it affects the sympathetic nervous system, which, is the fight or, flight system, after this, it then  affects the parasympathetic system, which is the rest and dijest, this is triggered naturally after you have been under stress, but with dysautonomia your not in control of the adrenaline it just happens because our nervous systems malfunction, so, with the fight or flight one, everything quickens up due to the amount of adrenaline in the system, i lose weight, muscles go weak, fast heart beat, dizzy spells, cant stop weeing, so, you lose blood volume and dehyrate, i become exhausted because of how overworked my body becomes, inititally it was like having PMT all the time, so, first i rest, and yes drinking water, along with being very liberal with salt in my food really helps as soon as, i feel as though im coming out of it, stop with the sleeping and rest, otherwise you will go the other way, and decondition yourself, that means your body clock, and sleeping patterns have gone out of wack, makes you  feel extremely drowsy, basically you have done too much sleeping and resting, so, you need to exert yourself then, you get the opposite to the stress which is, the rest and dijest symptoms, thats when your body slows down makes you feel lethargic, so you know then to exert your self more, your muscles become weak, you pool blood in your abodomen and legs, but because your stomach muscle are weak, you cant dijest your food properly, then when i stand i go to pass out, i feel all my food is in my upper abdomen, and if ive eaten too much, i can vomit whole pieces of food back up, i feel like my body is trying to push me to lie flat, which, is what i do, as it helps food go through the system better takes about 30 mins of lying flat, but once all this settles, you should find your back to normal until the next trigger, its general an out of balanced nervous system and anything can knock it off, and whilst i have vasovagul syncope, its not just passing out, its much more because of what it affects,  it causes chronic fatigue, slow dijestion, and spikes in sugar levels, its controlling all this once it gets started, the vagus nerves are responsible for sending all the messages through neurons to the brain to signal things to work that we dont know are happening, there automatic mainly.   The sympathetic and parasympathetic systems,  are in the spine, and its a case of the messages getting mixed up, so for example, you eat, messages through neurons from the vagus nerves, it travels to the brain to say, shes eating send out a certain amount of insulin, message goes in wrong, as a result brain can send in too much insulin, or, too little, so my sugar then drops, or, goese to high, depending on which system its affecting you at the time,  so, your coping with this as well, either things run too fast, or to slow, its the in between bit your trying to stick with, sometimes you get it right and sometimes you dont...................its a complete bummer, i was born with it, but only diagnosed feb 2016, started going the drs with it myself when i was 17, so, its taken me 40 years to get the diagnoses, and i started with my symptoms aged 18 months, started with convulsions, then whilst growing up, noticed i couldnt eat sugars, and started blacking out when i was at high school, then PMT symptoms when i was 17, but it wasnt really PMT, the convulsions are caused by low blood volume, and low blood pressure, so, there is not enough oxygen int he blood so you can either convulse or, pass out, over the years ive done both.

• Posted

Things you can try to help....

Increase fluid intake

Increase salt intake

Drink sports drinks (gatorade)

Drink tomato juices

When going to stand do so with legs crossed to prevent blood pressure from dropping quickly

• Posted

Hi Chelsea.

A lot of people suffer from this. It's usually called POTS.

I am unsure of how much meds can help.

I will not lie to you...a few people i know/have known had it and 2 out of 3 ended up in a wheelchair - mainly for their safety.

Maybe you should consult another doctor?

All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.