HELP!!! Need so advise please

Posted , 3 users are following.

Having problems with my doctor to get under active thyroid treatment! After my last set of blood tests she said I COULD possibly develop this, however iv been suffering with the symptoms for years!!! Need HELP!!!

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hello Cherry1994:

I am an RN - nurse and live in the USA.  Please ask your doctor WHY he or she is not prescribing replacement hormones for your symptoms.  Also try and see if you can see a patient advisor/advocate about your doctor. 

You  need to log your symptoms and have your doctor look at it.  you can also write or even e-mail your doctor and explain how you feel.  I hope it works out for you.

• Posted

Hi Shelly, I have been given elleste duo and had been taking them for 6 months which done nothing at all! Iv also written everything in a log book and taken my temperature for 3 months in the morning, the core temp is averaging around 35 degrees not even getting near 36! And yet she still says that my tests are NORMAL! I'm at my wits end now, even this morning it's is 16 degrees outside however my heating is on and have layers of clothes on!! The NHS are not helping. Don't know what else to do!
    • Posted

Hello Cherry1994:

Is there anyway you could transfer to a different doctor in your NHS system?  It sounds like you have many Hypothyroid symptoms.  Is there anyway for you to contact the chief of Medicine at the NHS?  Write a letter asking for a change in doctors?

Does anyone in your family have thyroid problems?  Hypo or Hyper?  if so, tell your doctor that!!! 

Also can you use the Emergency Room,       (A & E) and explain how bad you feel.  I am sure a doctor in that dept. would prescribe you replacement hormone.  I think you should try that.

Normally, I would just contact the doctor's office and request that I be given an appt. and then explain how bad the symptoms are for you and it is keeping you from living a normal life.

Blood work can often be normal, but  symptoms are to be considered too!!!  Blood work is an indicator tool, but many of us still have the symptoms even though our TSH may be okay.  How is your iron level? 

If all else fails - can you see a private doctor away from NHS?  Many of them are better.  Keep me posted.  I feel for you. Be well, Shelly

• Posted

Hi Shelly thank you for your reply, I have thought about going to another doctor however they give me the impression that they are glued at the hip. I have looked into private care but god it's expensive and I really don't have that kind of money but I suppose if it helps I would sell my house!!!

My mum was diagnosed a few years ago after a battle with the doctors but she died last year with heart failure, needless to say I'm slowly starting to wonder if she hadve been helped sooner she may still be here, but I'm not blaming anyone ( the question) is still there tho!!

The blood tests here are a bible for the NHS and if they say it's normal then it's normal!! I will book another appointment and let you know how I get on!! I can bet my salary on it they will say exactly the same but I will try!!

Iv just tried to book to see another Dr but won't be able to see them face to face for 3 weeks!!!!

This is the wonderful NHS!!!

• Posted

Hello Cherry1994:

Thyroid disease can run in familes and that is why I asked.  Since your late Mother had it, please tell your GP this!!!  Maybe an aunt has it or a cousin, ask around! 

I would go back to the GP you are seeing and say that you discovered a family history of thyroid problems and you want to try replacement hormone as you are experiencing feeling COLD, and other symptoms.  I will list the common ones here: 

1) Feeling COLD all the time, despite the weather.

2)  Rapid Weight gain 

3) Dry skin  and brittle nails & acne

4) Muscle aches/pains

5) Sleepy/fatigue

6) Headaches

7) Low metabolism and low body temp

8) Constipation

9) Ireggular periods or no periods

Pick out which of the symptoms you have and explain this to your MD.

These are most common ones and some people only have a few of them.  It is an odd disease and like I said sometimes the blood looks normal but the symptoms say something else.  

I would say to your doctor that you wish to try some replacement hormone and will sign any paperwork needed about my blood tests being normal.  You also need to say that feeling this way is causing you problems and not allowing you to lead a normal life.

If NHS fails get a copy of your labs, and see a private doc.  If you have your blood work and file, the private doctor will not repeat the labs but will likely be more agreeable to help. We all have the right, to obtain our medical files (by law), and I would see a private doctor.  When it comes to your health, it is worth it!

Be well, Shelly

• Posted

Hi Shelley

Just to let you know that finally iv had been diagnosed with AN UNDER ACTIVE THYROID!!!!!!!!!!!!! Iv been given levothyroxine! I took your advice and booked to see another GP. I stated my case and now my treatment has begun after a long battle.

So I think that it certainly pays to stamp your feet and stand your ground against GP's that are not prepared to listen.

Thank you for your advice.

X

• Posted

Hello Cherry:

I am glad this problem is now diagnosed.  As they say "The Squeeky Wheel  Gets The Grease," sadly we must be our own advocate. Take your thyroid replacement on a empty stomach.  Food will delay absorption. Hope you can now stay with this new GP.

Any other questions -just ask.  Shelly

• Posted

Hi Shelley

Thank you for all your help and yes I will most definitely stay with this GP.

I will certainly ask if I need more advise.

Thanks again

Cherry x

• Posted

what a great story cherry. so glad to hear that you've got help!! shelly has been great.

how are you both now?

• Posted

Hello Bindey:

Thank You for the nice comment.  I hope Cherry is doing well also.

Shelly

• Posted

Hi bindy and Shelley,

Yes thankfully doing well, getting a few side affects but I think I can deal with that. Thank you for you support. I will keep you updated

Cherry xx

• Posted

oh yes please do both of you.

how lovely you are xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Posted

hi cherry

just one thing. did you know that thyroiditis is mostly autoimmune and can be brought on and reversed by the trigger of gluten? 

I'm trying to make changes based on this. 

bindy

• Posted

Hello Bindey:

My name is  Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis which I have, can be from having caught "MONONUCELOSIS" now called Epstein-Barr virus. It can also be a family trait, passed on in the DNA.  My Aunt had it and my sister and I have it.

Thyroid disease Hyper and Hypo can have flare-ups can be triggered by Gluten. Many people with thyroid problems have a sensitivity to Gluten and also people who get IBS (irritable Bowel Syndrome), can benefit with a gluten free diet.

I do buy Gluten free items.  Gluten is in most processed foods like breads, wheat products, Oats, cakes & flour and corn.  Today we have markets that carry a good amount of Gluten free items.

Shelly

• Posted

hi shelley

so helpful! yes i absolutely agree.

in addition to having the genetic links  - the same as your family line funnily enough - various infections, mono, epstein barr, yersinia etc can be at play. can you by any chance recommend a lab which tests for these in the uk?

bindy

• Posted

Hello Bindey:

I am in the USA, so I do not no the lab names in UK.  Any lab that does blood work can by a samples of your blood look for an antibody to EBV (Epstein Barr Virus).  EBV is a known thyroid attacker!  This took years to discover and now they know. Most doctors will order the EBV Antibody Titer test and if it comes back positive it may be a cause. If you do not know if you had it, this test wil tell you.

Gluten:  Is really bad for us.  It is used in food as a processing additive.  I cook my own food and buy gluten free items in my supermarket.  Many stores now have lot's of products including flour that is gluten free.

Gluten is also known to cause IBS (irriatble bowels) and flare ups of autoimmune conditions like hashimoto's thyroid disease..  Avoid as much as you can, read labels in the store.  I can't take sulfites and they use it in FLU shots as a preservative.

Sulfites are also in wine. Someof us have allergies, so you must read labels and watch for hidden gluten in certain items.  I eat chicken, fish, a a little red meat.  carb products have hidden gluten and even corn on the cob.

Let's stay well,  XO, Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.