Help .... need surgery ... need to choose between Sling with fascial tissue or Burch Colosuspension

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi , I'm new to posting here and have been searching and researching everything i can find on bladder sling with own tissue verses burch colosuspension. I don't want to go down the mesh route after reading so many horror stories. I had cystocele and rectocele prolapse surgery 6 years ago. Now my stress incontinence has gotten to the stage where i need more surgery. But, I'm so confused. .... i don't want to make the wrong choice and facing further surgery / complications down the track. So, basically, if anyone has had either of these surgeries I'd be very grateful to hear how it went. How was recovery, how is it long term? Feeling quite alone .... seeing my urogynocologist on Friday .... oh and I'm in Australia but love to hear from you wherever you are x

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm glad you have your date. You'll need plenty of time to rest and recover. Mine was just over 6 weeks ago, still feel tender around the wound area and above it. I like to go for a walk every day. Started to do some light houswork now (unfortunately) attempted to put the washing on the line, but might have stretched up a bit too much! 

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress 🤞🏼

• Posted

Goodness, six weeks and still can't hang the washing out. Sounds like a very long recovery, but also like you're doing really well. What was the first week, or two like? I had major abdominal surgery 12 years ago and remember a lot of pain after ... not being able to stand straight for over a week? Wondering if I should expect similar again? .... trying to psyc myself up for it ...mostly trying to think how i can fit in everything i need to do beforehand. Am sure the date's going to creep up before I know it

Thanks for taking time to share

• Posted

Maybe I was really lucky but after the first week I had no pain at all.   I could have carried on as usual but took it easy and certainly didn’t lift anything heavier than a cup of tea (my instructions) as I didn’t want to risk ruining the outcome, for the first 6 weeks. 

We all have different pain thresholds  

so hopefully you will be lucky too. Try not to worry;  it will be worth it in the end. x

• Posted

Hi, 

It’s a slower recovery than I expected to be honest, pain was quite intense when I got home from hospital, pain meds sorted that out, it was very, very uncomfortable getting around for a few days, so I think you should expect similar than last time, anything less will be a bonus, right! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.