HELP! Need to get off 80mg of PPI (Pantoprazole) a day for over a year Anyone on such a high dose?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Read with interest recent post on weaning off PPIs and it has helped me a lot.

I am sure PPIs may well help in many cases, but I have been on the highest dose of my PPI for well over a year and have developed atrial fibrillation (AF- irregular heartbeat) - Please note I cannot state that it is a result of either the PPI or acid reflux but it certainly is causing me extra big problems. I would like to hear from anyone on high doses being taken especially for over a year. And any experiences. Kind regards.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

IM ON 40mg Omeprazole 2x per day plus Ranitidene ( Zantac) 300 mg 3x per day and it does not work.

Trying to switch back to Pantoprazole 20mg 2x per day today, to see if a change of medication might work.

• Posted

Thanks Janine for your reply. May I ask 3 questions:

1 How long you have been on your present dose of Omeprazole?

2. The reason for switching from Pantoprazole in the first place? And

3. How long were you on the Pantorazole before that?

As you can see from my 5.30am reply (Didn't go to bed til 1am) I do have problems with a good nights sleep! However, I am trying my best to sort out my reflux and wean my way down from 80mg per day. I will happily pass on my progress - or lack of it.

Lots of good wishes.

• Posted

Some people take these PPi drugs for years, even though the manufacturers say 14 to 30 days max. Recently, scientists have discovered that the stomach lining stores the chemical message to make more acid. It becomes more and more saturated with this chemical message. As soon as you stop taking the drug or miss a dose, the stomach makes a massive amount of acid causing more pain and damage. There is no guaranteed way to get off PPi drugs. In the future they may be listed as addictive.

There are ongoing lawsuits concerning side effects not listed.

I took Nexium for about 2 years and thought I was cured, but started getting a feeling of a needle stuck in my stomach. It was so specific I almost got xrays to make sure I did not swallow something. My foot doctor also told me I had osteoporosis in my feet. That was the last straw. I slowly reduced my dose over a 2 month period. I used a lot of Gaviscon and antacids, took vitamin E liquid and swallowed organic low acid olive oil. And lots of Organic probiotic yogurt.

I now consider myself cured. I still get an occasional burn but I use regular antacids and Vitamin E and olive oil to deal with it.

I can now eat anything I want, even pizza and spaghetti, even chocolate. Stomach acid is there for a reason. It breaks down food and minerals so the body can absorb them. It prevents food allergies. It also protects against microbes and germs in food.

We can not micro manage our bodies. It is best to work with your body and let it do what it is designed to do.

There some issues that can cause stomach burning: Hiatal hernias, H Pylori infection, constipation, stress, ulcers etc. These causes should be addressed one at a time.

John

• Posted

Some people take these PPi drugs for years, even though the manufacturers say 14 to 30 days max. Recently, scientists have discovered that the stomach lining stores the chemical message to make more acid. It becomes more and more saturated with this chemical message. As soon as you stop taking the drug or miss a dose, the stomach makes a massive amount of acid causing more pain and damage. There is no guaranteed way to get off PPi drugs. In the future they may be listed as addictive.

There are ongoing lawsuits concerning side effects not listed.

I took PPi's for about 2 years and thought I was cured, but started getting a feeling of a needle stuck in my stomach. It was so specific I almost got x rays to make sure I did not swallow something. My foot doctor also told me I had osteoporosis in my feet. That was the last straw. I slowly reduced my dose over a 2 month period. I used a lot of antacids, took vitamin E liquid and swallowed organic low acid olive oil. And lots of Organic Pro biotic yogurt.

I now consider myself cured. I still get an occasional burn but I use regular antacids and Vitamin E and olive oil to deal with it.

I can now eat anything I want, even pizza and spaghetti, even chocolate. Stomach acid is there for a reason. It breaks down food and minerals so the body can absorb them. It prevents food allergies. It also protects against microbes and germs in food.

We can not micro manage our bodies. It is best to work with your body and let it do what it is designed to do.

There some issues that can cause stomach burning: hiatal hernias, H Pylori infection, constipation, stress, ulcers etc. These causes should be addressed one at a time.

John

• Posted

Thank you John. That is very interesting and hopefully will help me (and others) a lot. Can I just ask what was your dose of PPI? It gives me an idea of what I have to face as as I am on 80mg per day. Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Janine, Good luck. Hope you get some good strategy tips. I'm struggling to bring down 40mg x2 per day. Got down to 20 in morning and 40 at night. But then went onto 20 at night and lasted two days before started to feel 'withdrawals.' So back onto 40 at night but will try again tomorrow with gaviscon and rinatidine back up. Fear its going to be a long haul. Bestwishes

• Posted

I was on 40mg Nexium and generic Esomeprazole for nearly 2 years. And yes, my reply above was for you. John

• Posted

Thank you Jonathan. Really appreciated the replies.Half the battle I suppose in resolving problems is to talk about them. I've asked several chemists if they have anyone on their books on 80mg a day, and the answer if 'No'. Most are on 20 and 40. How on earth my dosage was allowed to continue for so long, is beyond me! Now for the weaning off process. I think I can continue at 60 for a while and then try again to bring it down to 40 and hope they havn't caused long term damage.

Best wishes

• Posted

Remember that the doctors are your employees, they work for you. When I first got on Nexium, it was me that asked the doctor for the prescription. She would adjust my dosage as I requested and she cooperated when I wanted to get off of it. Doctors just don't have the time to monitor each patient.

I looked up "Pantoprazole sodium" and these are just a few of the side effects:

"Tell your doctor right away if you have any serious side effects, including: symptoms of a low magnesium blood level (such as unusually fast/slow/irregular heartbeat, persistent muscle spasms, seizures), signs of lupus (such as rash on nose and cheeks, new or worsening joint pain)."

You are definitely getting a side effect. What symptoms did you have originally?

• Posted

Hey Michael, Im on 80mg pantoprazole. have you been able to come down on your dosage. Please help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.