Help Needed.

Posted , 2 users are following.

My question, I'm sure, will be answered by my GP, but without disparaging the medical fraternity, only a fellow Effexor XL Venlafaxine ex-user (or current user) will truly know the answer.

The 75mg of Venlafaxine that my GP has prescibed to me (7 weeks ago) has pulled me out of my 'absolute desperate' 24 hour-a-day state of mind.

I am still 'upside-down' though, so to speak - awful nightmares, constant bouts of head-to-toe sweats have now been added to the mix (brought on, I have now found in this forum, through the venlafaxine medication). But for the last 2 weeks (or so), it's the 6 hours immediately after taking (1pm) the Venlafaxine that has me at at my lowest mental state. My frame of mind now seems better the nearer the time I am due to take my next capsule?

This seems very odd to me - should this be the case? Should I continue taking this anti-depressive?

I haven't took today's (1pm) capsule, I've decided to take it around 10pm tonight. Good or bad decision? I have no idea - fingers crossed.

Many thanks, any or/and all input from those who know, greatly appreciated.

Take care,

les

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Just a thought- you are on a low dose

I'm on 300mgs and have been for years

Secondly what sort of Venlafaxine are you on ?

There is the normal and the XL which is the slow release

I was on the slow release for years then they tried changing me to the \"usual\" and I felt dreadful

I had to appeal to my PCT to get the more expensive XL but succeeded.

I take them last thing at night to try and minimise the side efects- worth a try?

Good luck

• Posted

[quote:21a76ac700=\"merlina\"]Hi

Just a thought- you are on a low dose

I'm on 300mgs and have been for years

Secondly what sort of Venlafaxine are you on ?

There is the normal and the XL which is the slow release

I was on the slow release for years then they tried changing me to the \"usual\" and I felt dreadful

I had to appeal to my PCT to get the more expensive XL but succeeded.

I take them last thing at night to try and minimise the side efects- worth a try?

Good luck[/quote:21a76ac700]

Many thanks for the reply, Merlina - much appreciated.

As I have discovered through my GP, I am very much in his hands regarding which anti-depressant to be on and at his education/discretion what dosage should be administered - reading comments in this (Nerve Drugs) Patient Drug site has been invaluable.

I am taking the Efexor Ven' XL slow release and amazingly (well, I find it amazing), it's the last 48 hours that I have finally felt that the Venlafaine is working.

Why is this? I have no idea. I have stuck to the decision of taking them at night (around 10-10.30pm). I still have massive sweat bouts (I think this is a normal side-effect), my sleep pattern is slowly getting back to some sort of normality, but the dreams (because I seem to able to remember every weird one of them) are difficult to handle - the days (as I've said) do seem to be improving.

Should I carry on in this vein?

Even though I feel like being between the devil and the deep blue sea, I think I should - boy, mental depression is an awful disease.

Again, Merlina, many thanks for your input.

Take care,

les.

• Posted

Godamnit, just when you think you might be able to see a glimmer of light. Gets my repeat prescription today and the particular type (Effexor XL slow release) of anti-depression medication I have been given has been changed to Venlalic XL Prolonged-release, round, biconvex, white tablets.

Through the reading of other Patient UK contributors' posts on this issue I have refused them and asked for the 'better ones'. I find out tomorrow if my request is successful.

Fingers crossed,

les

• Posted

[quote:3522e91e33=\"les6\"]Godamnit, just when you think you might be able to see a glimmer of light. Gets my repeat prescription today and the particular type (Effexor XL slow release) of anti-depression medication I have been given has been changed to Venlalic XL Prolonged-release, round, biconvex, white tablets.

Through the reading of other Patient UK contributors' posts on this issue I have refused them and asked for the 'better ones'. I find out tomorrow if my request is successful.

Fingers crossed,

les[/quote:3522e91e33]

For someone who is suffering with anxiety, stress, and depression, that was just not fair.

Waited an hour to be seen, then after much conversation (feeling like I was asking for the chalice of christ), finally convinces my GP to allow me stay on the Efexor XL slow release 75mg capsules.

Gets home from pharmacy, opens the package, and finds just 14 capsules instead of the intended 28 ! Suppose I'd better get the owed 14 tomorrow !!

Exhausted,

les

:?

• Posted

[quote:96a0f31de7=\"les6\"][quote:96a0f31de7=\"les6\"]Godamnit, just when you think you might be able to see a glimmer of light. Gets my repeat prescription today and the particular type (Effexor XL slow release) of anti-depression medication I have been given has been changed to Venlalic XL Prolonged-release, round, biconvex, white tablets.

Fingers crossed,

les[/quote:96a0f31de7]

For someone who is suffering with anxiety, stress, and depression, that was just not fair.

Waited an hour to be seen, then after much conversation (feeling like I was asking for the chalice of christ), finally convinces my GP to allow me stay on the Efexor XL slow release 75mg capsules.

Gets home from pharmacy, opens the package, and finds just 14 capsules instead of the intended 28 ! Suppose I'd better get the owed 14 tomorrow !!

Exhausted,

les

:?[/quote:96a0f31de7]

I'm considering, after reading many learned posters' comments, asking my doctor is it wise to stay on venlafaxine (will he think I am undermining his judgement?).

When you consider the number of venlafaxine posts - something can't be right. Then, reading if a venlafaxine user wants to cease taking them, it appears absolutely hell on earth - something can't be right x 2.

It seems a weaning medication (also an AD) to get off venlafaxine is fluoxetine. My boggle is, why not be prescribed fluoxetine (by my doctor) in the first place.

Would any learned viewers have a view on this.

ps

It seems, when I now smoke a cigarette (since taking venlaxine), I feel as if I have just spent 20 minutes on a fairground waltzer! What the fudge!!

Take care,

les

• Posted

Hi les6,

Just thought I'd send a reply, (as watching the ven forums).

I was changed from citalopram to venlafaxine by my dr. Its been the best thing they could have done.

Was not getting on with the cit and my Dr noticed that years ago I had been on ven (it was the slow release capsules) but I was prescribed the regular ven tabs! Started on 75mg once a day. It did work for 6 to 7 weeks, then I started to go back down....

Was then put up to 75mg twice a day and am now a whole lot better. Back to work full time, happy, and coping!

Just thought I'd let you know of a positive!.... we are all different, and we all have very different experiences to the drugs.........!

But for now this is working for me.

All the best M :wink:

• Posted

[quote:2f07b16c3a=\"Mushroom\"]Hi les6,

Just thought I'd send a reply, (as watching the ven forums).

I was changed from citalopram to venlafaxine by my dr. Its been the best thing they could have done.

Was not getting on with the cit and my Dr noticed that years ago I had been on ven (it was the slow release capsules) but I was prescribed the regular ven tabs! Started on 75mg once a day. It did work for 6 to 7 weeks, then I started to go back down....

Was then put up to 75mg twice a day and am now a whole lot better. Back to work full time, happy, and coping!

Just thought I'd let you know of a positive!.... we are all different, and we all have very different experiences to the drugs.........!

But for now this is working for me.

All the best M :wink:[/quote:2f07b16c3a]

Mushroom, many many thanks for your reply, interest, personal knowledge and experience as a venlafaxine taker/user.

I visited my GP earlier, asked him about the venlafaxine/fluoxetine combination or replacement and he thought it best not to go down that route.

He did, however, (curiously - taking your posted input into consideration) suggest I take my current dosage 75mg once a day, to 2x75mg (in one hit), starting tonight - for 1 week. He called it 'a suck it and see'.

If it is beneficial, to then take 1x150mg, daily.

Fingers crossed.

All the best, Mushroom - and again, many thanks.

Take care,

les

• Posted

Great, you won't know until you try.

I can't remember having any probs when I came of the ven before! but it was a long time ago.

If I have to take it for a long time.... then so be it.

I also was on fluoxetine (not with the ven) a few years before I first used (hate that word used!), venlafaxine,....it was not good, made me feel high, happy, but far too reckless.

I sound like a junkie now!!! lol, hey but have had a few episodes of the 'Black dog'Each time it has been different, and with many good happy years in between.

Good luck, and there is always a solution... eventually

All the best M :wink:

• Posted

Hi Mushroom, your continued support, along with my family's support, is dearly appreciated - thank you.

This is going to be a very long process, I feel. As far as I can gather, with the added 75mg (daily), there is an improvement (say 15%) overall from 2 days ago, but there are 3 issues that seem impossible to improve.

My willingness to get out of bed (I am unemployed) - how did Churchill run a wartime country/commonwealth with black dog issues!!! It's beyond my comprehension.

I have a 3 hour window (when I do get up) of utter blitzkrieg every day.

My interest in watching television, reading, listening to music, and basically anything social, going out the front door is zero - I can just write this - I think it seems therapeutic.

Anyways, enough of my greydayness - I hope my overall progress can mirror yours.

All the best Mushroom - take care

les

• Posted

Hi les,

It is a slow process..! One I still don't really accept. I had 3 failed attempts at returning to work!!!! too busy telling myself I was ok, but I wasn't.

At the beginning of this last episode, I couldn't sleep for more than a few hours (that was on the citalopram) But once I was on the venlafaxine, slowly but surely, I stopped..... and slept, and let myself stay in bed. I stopped beating myself up, and started to like me again. I then began to get interested again, and then started to take control!

There were still bad days, and at times, a severe lack of confidence. Not sure when the 'Black Dog' receided, but there was one point, about the 4th meeting with my cousellor, when I started to remember what it was like to feel better, what it was like to look forwards instead of inwards.

Sad but true.... one big step was food shopping in the supermarket! had used online delivery service or the corner shop for nearly 8 months. I was scared to death about being seen by someone who new me! But in the great scheme of things.... would they have cared!!!!

I am fortunate, as have great support from siblings, parents and partner (though we don't live together).

What I'm trying to say is, give yourself time, space, and don't beat yourself up.

Wish you well

M :wink:

• Posted

[quote:a7c31a73ff=\"Mushroom\"]Hi les,

It is a slow process..! One I still don't really accept. I had 3 failed attempts at returning to work!!!! too busy telling myself I was ok, but I wasn't.

At the beginning of this last episode, I couldn't sleep for more than a few hours (that was on the citalopram) But once I was on the venlafaxine, slowly but surely, I stopped..... and slept, and let myself stay in bed. I stopped beating myself up, and started to like me again. I then began to get interested again, and then started to take control!

There were still bad days, and at times, a severe lack of confidence. Not sure when the 'Black Dog' receided, but there was one point, about the 4th meeting with my cousellor, when I started to remember what it was like to feel better, what it was like to look forwards instead of inwards.

Sad but true.... one big step was food shopping in the supermarket! had used online delivery service or the corner shop for nearly 8 months. I was scared to death about being seen by someone who new me! But in the great scheme of things.... would they have cared!!!!

I am fortunate, as have great support from siblings, parents and partner (though we don't live together).

What I'm trying to say is, give yourself time, space, and don't beat yourself up.

Wish you well

M :wink:[/quote:a7c31a73ff]

Hi Mushrom - I don't know what to think. After six days of taking the increased dose my ' down periods' seemed to dilute, so much so I visited my elderly father, who I had a terrible ouburst with (in June), and apologised. He accepted my apology yet here I am, three days on and I feel terrible - I'm scared (I can't believe this is happening) to go outdoors.

I also suffer from IBS(d) and the increased dose seems to have increased my IBS symptoms (the Colofac I have took for years seems to be doing nothing!). I am in a hellish position and I can't see my GP until Monday.

I really don't know whether to continue with the 150mg, drop back down to 75mg, or stop taking the venlafaxine completely.

Take care,

les

Any help would be dearly appreciated.

• Posted

[quote:43f33d6aa4=\"les6\"][quote:43f33d6aa4=\"Mushroom\"]Hi les,

Wish you well

M :wink:[/quote:43f33d6aa4]

Hi Mushrom - I don't know what to think. After six days of taking the increased dose my ' down periods' seemed to dilute, so much so I visited my elderly father, who I had a terrible ouburst with (in June), and apologised. He accepted my apology yet here I am, three days on and I feel terrible - I'm scared (I can't believe this is happening) to go outdoors.

I also suffer from IBS(d) and the increased dose seems to have increased my IBS symptoms (the Colofac I have took for years seems to be doing nothing!). I am in a hellish position and I can't see my GP until Monday.

I really don't know whether to continue with the 150mg, drop back down to 75mg, or stop taking the venlafaxine completely.

Take care,

les

Any help would be dearly appreciated.[/quote:43f33d6aa4]

ps,

there is something else that I just can't fathom out (and I haven't read anywhere else on this forum of a venlafaine 'taker' of having anything similar feelings) - without fail, I always feel my best (mentally), every day/night, the two hours leading-up to when I am due to take my next dose. I just can't figure it out.

Take care,

les

• Posted

Hi les,

I also have what could be IBS, did mention this to my Dr 3 months ago, as it got a whole lot worse on the ven!, my Dr requested blood tests for loads of things, one being coeliac diesease. All was negative, and my over all blood count very good! Even the liver function... which is a relief as I did do a bit of self medicating with alcohol!! actually a lot!!!

As for the fear of the going out.... I know that one. But feel it is part of the illness, the depression.

At the beginning of recovery, it does feel like one step forward, and two or more back. This gradually (for me) changed to inching forward slowly, and staying in the same place for a while, before the next inch or two forward.

I have not noticed any short term improvement in the few hours before taking my next tablet! (I take mine twice a day) have even missed a dose since being back at work full time, and felt no ill effects!! If anything, I have a few hours of nausea now and then after taking the tablet!

Even now, some mornings when I get up, I just know I'm going to be sick (vomit) within 2 hours, so delay taking the tablet until after the throwing up bit. It's nothing major, its just the first cup of coffee does not stay down, but only about once a week, and I have no explanation for that!!!??

We are all different, and it seems, react differently to these drugs. But it is working for me, this I know, as so many people have said how I'm like my old self (not sure I like the old bit lol). I even have to say, I am dealing with life as I used too.... and I'm glad to be back.

So, keep trying, don't give up

and I wish you well

• Posted

[quote:911adf9876=\"Mushroom\"]Hi les,

I also have what could be IBS, did mention this to my Dr 3 months ago, as it got a whole lot worse on the ven!, my Dr requested blood tests for loads of things, one being coeliac diesease. All was negative, and my over all blood count very good! Even the liver function... which is a relief as I did do a bit of self medicating with alcohol!! actually a lot!!!

As for the fear of the going out.... I know that one. But feel it is part of the illness, the depression.

At the beginning of recovery, it does feel like one step forward, and two or more back. This gradually (for me) changed to inching forward slowly, and staying in the same place for a while, before the next inch or two forward.

I have not noticed any short term improvement in the few hours before taking my next tablet! (I take mine twice a day) have even missed a dose since being back at work full time, and felt no ill effects!! If anything, I have a few hours of nausea now and then after taking the tablet!

Even now, some mornings when I get up, I just know I'm going to be sick (vomit) within 2 hours, so delay taking the tablet until after the throwing up bit. It's nothing major, its just the first cup of coffee does not stay down, but only about once a week, and I have no explanation for that!!!??

We are all different, and it seems, react differently to these drugs. But it is working for me, this I know, as so many people have said how I'm like my old self (not sure I like the old bit lol). I even have to say, I am dealing with life as I used too.... and I'm glad to be back.

So, keep trying, don't give up

and I wish you well

M :wink:[/quote:911adf9876]

Hi Mushroom, and many many thanks for replying. Reading your experience(s) has made me feel a lot more upbeat in trying to get (relatively) better.

I too have vomitous moments but have been able not to actually barf.

As you quite rightly say, we are all different but it is (for me) a self-boost communicating to someone (your good self) who has sat, or is sitting in the same row-boat in the middle of a rough ocean.

I may attempt to do what you do (1x75mg, and another 1x75mg later that same day/night) - I'll ask my GP on Monday.

I appreciate these words;

[b:911adf9876]So, keep trying, don't give up

and I wish you well [/b:911adf9876]

Keep well, Mushroom.

Take care,

les

• Posted

Hi les,

Hope it goes well with your Dr tomorrow. And your right. Through the roughest of seas, its been a big help having this forum to help one realise, your not the only one battling with what seems impossible to accept, and even harder to overcome.

All the best for tomorrow

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.